Surely ned calling the red prince illegitimate would be damaging to himself as well, if ned claims the red prince is illegitimate then surely charlotte of lancaster is too, and then why would he arrange for edmund, prince of Wales to marry her? Ned needs to stick to the superior claim of York - the red prince is the legitimate child of henry vi, no doubt about it, but the york claim is stronger so he can’t have the throne.
That’s true.
Would they not call him Edward IV? Since York Edward IV is a false pretender king in their eyes
Would they be able to get away with calling him Edward IV? Pretender king or not, Edward of York has been on the throne since 1461. I don’t know if they would be able to sweep everything Edward has done under the rug.

Last edited:
Would they be able to get away with calling him Edward IV? Pretender king or not, Edward of York has been on the throne since 1461. I don’t know if they would be able to sweep everything Edward has done under the rug
And Richard III is still known as Richard III despite Henry VII declaring Edward V to be his predecessor. I think calling Lancaster Edward V make sense considering that.