Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

Liberty or Death, President John Sherman, March 16th 1893

"My friends! Twelve days ago I informed the public, of a grave injustice brought upon the American soldiers in the African Continent! It is my solemn duty now to address your body with regard to the grave crisis that has arisen in the relations of the United States and United Kingdom by reason of the attacks and threats to our sovereignty and the sovereignty of Liberia, that have been consistently leveled upon us, since the beginning of this year.

The Founders of the republic fought with great fervor, against the tyranny of the British crown. Now it is our duty, to follow in the founders great footsteps!

The present crisis is but the successor of other similar threats which have occurred in the British Empire against the United States! The United States has put to great effort and expense in enforcing its neutrality laws, caused enormous losses to American prestige, caused irritation, annoyance, and disturbance among our citizens, and by the exercise of cruel, barbarous, and uncivilized practices of colonization and extortion of their colonies, chief among them Sierra leone, they have shocked the sensibilities and offended the humane sympathies of our people.

Our people have beheld a series of threats that escalated to brutal attacks!

Our trade has suffered; the brave men of the African Expeditions, were ruthlessly surprise attacked, by men they had parlayed with! Our brave boys, were slaughtered by British hands, only a day after Mr. Pattison was horrifically killed. London sought to attack us, in our time of desperation and attack us they did!

The efforts of Britain were increased, both by the dispatch of fresh levies to the Niger River and by the addition to the horrors of the strife of a new and inhuman phase happily unprecedented in the modern history of civilized Christian peoples. . . .

This is not to mention a massive threat is now held against our sacred ally, in Liberia. They have assisted us and for it on March 4th, British naval vessels appeared ready to attack! If it wasn't for our brave boys, they may have done so!

In this state of affairs the previous administration found itself confronted with the grave problem of its duty. Mr. Grant's message this January reviewed the situation and narrated the steps taken with a view to relieving its acuteness and opening the way to some form of honorable settlement. The Prime Minister, Mr. Gladstone, seemed unwilling at the time. The former administration, pledged to reparation without concession, again the British maintained their ultimatum.

Do not be fooled by their recent acceptance of Italian Arbitration! It is only done to confuse our people and bide their time for another attack!

These elements of danger and disorder already pointed out have been strikingly illustrated by a tragic event which has deeply and justly moved the American people. I have already transmitted to Congress the report of the naval court of inquiry on the destruction of the battleship John Quincy Adams just outside of Freetown during the night of the 13th of March. The destruction of that noble vessel has filled the national heart with inexpressible horror. Two hundred and fifty-eight brave sailors and marines and two officers of our Navy, reposing in the fancied security of a friendly harbor, have been hurled to death, grief and want brought to their homes, and sorrow to the nation. LIKE IN THE BOSTON MASSACRE OF OLD! THEY WERE SLAUGHTERED BY BRITISH OPPRESSORS! My friends! I cannot let America be trampled on any longer! Those boys ought to be avenged, like our forefathers would have said. GIVE US LIBERTY! OR GIVE US DEATH!

With this last overture of British treachery mere days ago, the executive is brought to the end of his effort to find peace. . . .

I said in my inaugural message, “It is to be seriously considered whether the Niger situation possesses a belligerent threat from London against our favor.” The only proof I have seen in my short term as President is that there is very much, a belligerent threat!

As to the first it is not to be forgotten that during the last few months the relations of the United States has virtually been one of friendly intervention in many ways, each not of itself conclusive, but all tending to the exertion of a potential influence toward an ultimate pacific result, just and honorable to all interests concerned. The spirit of all our acts hitherto has been an earnest, unselfish desire for peace and prosperity in the African continent, untarnished by differences between us and the British Crown, and unstained by the blood of American citizens.

I do not take the prospect of a conflict between us and London lightly. I say now that the odds are large, the war will be hard fought, our resolve will. be. tested. BUT AGAIN! AS OUR FOREFATHERS YELLED GIVE US LIBERTY! OR GIVE US DEATH! WE HAVE A DUTY TO YELL THE SAME! Their victory against all the odds, with far less unity, proves to me that perhaps the odds are not so stacked against us.

The grounds for such a war may be briefly summarized as follows:

First. In the cause of humanity and to put an end to the threats against the brave citizens of liberia and troops of the African Expedition.

Second. We owe it to the losses on the John Quincy Adams, to redeem their loss with a great fight for Liberity!

Third. The right to intervene may be justified by the very serious injury to the commerce, trade, and business of our people, and by the wanton destruction of property and devastation of our rightful Fort at Fort Grant.

Fourth, and which is of the utmost importance. The present condition of affairs in Africa is a constant menace to our peace, liberty and freedom, and entails upon this government an enormous expense. If they can push around and beat us in our land across the sea, what is to stop Victoria and Gladstone from jumping across the pond to push us around some more?

The long trail has proved that the object for which Britain has waged the war cannot be attained. In the name of peace, in the name of liberty, in behalf of endangered American interests which gives us the right and the duty to speak and to act, the aggression from the British must stop!

In view of these facts and of these considerations, I ask the Congress to authorize and empower the president to take measure to secure a full and final measures to beat the British for a third time in conflict! And to use the military and naval forces of the United States as may be necessary for these purposes.

And in the interest of humanity and to aid in preserving the lives of the starving people of the Liberia I recommend that the distribution of food and supplies be continued, and that an appropriation be made out of the public Treasury to supplement the charity of our citizens.

The issue is now with the Congress. It is a solemn responsibility. I have exhausted every effort to relieve the intolerable condition of affairs which is at our doors. Prepared to execute every obligation imposed upon me by the Constitution and the law, I await your action. . . .

I urge you, GIVE US LIBERTY! OR GIVE US DEATH!"

-President John Sherman in his address to Congress requesting a Deceleration of War against the United Kingdom

THE FINAL VOTE IN THE HOUSE
260-112 The Resolution Passes
THE FINAL VOTE IN THE SENATE
63-31 The Resolution Passes

WAR IS DECLARED

"In the aftermath of the Declaration of War by Congress, Prime Minister Gladstone, who had set his remaining political power on peace, sat stunned. He could not comprehend what President Sherman was thinking. The Empire would clearly win in any sane man's eyes. Seeing no other option in the early morning on the 17th, Gladstone requested Queen Victoria issue a royal proclamation declaring war on the United States.

An hour later, Gladstone went before the Commons and announced that the Queen had agreed to declare war on the United States. He then told them that he was too old to properly carry out the duties of Prime Minister in such a trying time. (Though in reality, he simply knew that a motion of no confidence was already taking shape from the Tories.) Gladstone announced he would be resigning effective immediately. He then told the shocked commoners that he had already advised the Queen who his replacement should be.

Right after the Declaration of War was released from Buckingham Palace, the Queen also announced that, on the advice of Gladstone, he was to be replaced by the Right Honorable, The Earl Spencer. A man experienced in government and well versed in warfare."

-from Gladstone's Last Stand
by Garrett Hart, published 2002

John-Poyntz-Spencer-5th-Earl-Spencer.jpg

THE RIGHT HONORABLE, EARL JOHN SPENCER, PRIME MINISTER OF THE UNITED KINGDOM
opposition to the declaration of war was championed by Populists and some Liberal new Englanders.

Liberty or Death, President John Sherman, March 16th 1893

"My friends! Twelve days ago I informed the public, of a grave injustice brought upon the American soldiers in the African Continent! It is my solemn duty now to address your body with regard to the grave crisis that has arisen in the relations of the United States and United Kingdom by reason of the attacks and threats to our sovereignty and the sovereignty of Liberia, that have been consistently leveled upon us, since the beginning of this year.

The Founders of the republic fought with great fervor, against the tyranny of the British crown. Now it is our duty, to follow in the founders great footsteps!

The present crisis is but the successor of other similar threats which have occurred in the British Empire against the United States! The United States has put to great effort and expense in enforcing its neutrality laws, caused enormous losses to American prestige, caused irritation, annoyance, and disturbance among our citizens, and by the exercise of cruel, barbarous, and uncivilized practices of colonization and extortion of their colonies, chief among them Sierra leone, they have shocked the sensibilities and offended the humane sympathies of our people.

Our people have beheld a series of threats that escalated to brutal attacks!

Our trade has suffered; the brave men of the African Expeditions, were ruthlessly surprise attacked, by men they had parlayed with! Our brave boys, were slaughtered by British hands, only a day after Mr. Pattison was horrifically killed. London sought to attack us, in our time of desperation and attack us they did!

The efforts of Britain were increased, both by the dispatch of fresh levies to the Niger River and by the addition to the horrors of the strife of a new and inhuman phase happily unprecedented in the modern history of civilized Christian peoples. . . .

This is not to mention a massive threat is now held against our sacred ally, in Liberia. They have assisted us and for it on March 4th, British naval vessels appeared ready to attack! If it wasn't for our brave boys, they may have done so!

In this state of affairs the previous administration found itself confronted with the grave problem of its duty. Mr. Grant's message this January reviewed the situation and narrated the steps taken with a view to relieving its acuteness and opening the way to some form of honorable settlement. The Prime Minister, Mr. Gladstone, seemed unwilling at the time. The former administration, pledged to reparation without concession, again the British maintained their ultimatum.

Do not be fooled by their recent acceptance of Italian Arbitration! It is only done to confuse our people and bide their time for another attack!

These elements of danger and disorder already pointed out have been strikingly illustrated by a tragic event which has deeply and justly moved the American people. I have already transmitted to Congress the report of the naval court of inquiry on the destruction of the battleship John Quincy Adams just outside of Freetown during the night of the 13th of March. The destruction of that noble vessel has filled the national heart with inexpressible horror. Two hundred and fifty-eight brave sailors and marines and two officers of our Navy, reposing in the fancied security of a friendly harbor, have been hurled to death, grief and want brought to their homes, and sorrow to the nation. LIKE IN THE BOSTON MASSACRE OF OLD! THEY WERE SLAUGHTERED BY BRITISH OPPRESSORS! My friends! I cannot let America be trampled on any longer! Those boys ought to be avenged, like our forefathers would have said. GIVE US LIBERTY! OR GIVE US DEATH!

With this last overture of British treachery mere days ago, the executive is brought to the end of his effort to find peace. . . .

I said in my inaugural message, “It is to be seriously considered whether the Niger situation possesses a belligerent threat from London against our favor.” The only proof I have seen in my short term as President is that there is very much, a belligerent threat!

As to the first it is not to be forgotten that during the last few months the relations of the United States has virtually been one of friendly intervention in many ways, each not of itself conclusive, but all tending to the exertion of a potential influence toward an ultimate pacific result, just and honorable to all interests concerned. The spirit of all our acts hitherto has been an earnest, unselfish desire for peace and prosperity in the African continent, untarnished by differences between us and the British Crown, and unstained by the blood of American citizens.

I do not take the prospect of a conflict between us and London lightly. I say now that the odds are large, the war will be hard fought, our resolve will. be. tested. BUT AGAIN! AS OUR FOREFATHERS YELLED GIVE US LIBERTY! OR GIVE US DEATH! WE HAVE A DUTY TO YELL THE SAME! Their victory against all the odds, with far less unity, proves to me that perhaps the odds are not so stacked against us.

The grounds for such a war may be briefly summarized as follows:

First. In the cause of humanity and to put an end to the threats against the brave citizens of liberia and troops of the African Expedition.

Second. We owe it to the losses on the John Quincy Adams, to redeem their loss with a great fight for Liberity!

Third. The right to intervene may be justified by the very serious injury to the commerce, trade, and business of our people, and by the wanton destruction of property and devastation of our rightful Fort at Fort Grant.

Fourth, and which is of the utmost importance. The present condition of affairs in Africa is a constant menace to our peace, liberty and freedom, and entails upon this government an enormous expense. If they can push around and beat us in our land across the sea, what is to stop Victoria and Gladstone from jumping across the pond to push us around some more?

The long trail has proved that the object for which Britain has waged the war cannot be attained. In the name of peace, in the name of liberty, in behalf of endangered American interests which gives us the right and the duty to speak and to act, the aggression from the British must stop!

In view of these facts and of these considerations, I ask the Congress to authorize and empower the president to take measure to secure a full and final measures to beat the British for a third time in conflict! And to use the military and naval forces of the United States as may be necessary for these purposes.

And in the interest of humanity and to aid in preserving the lives of the starving people of the Liberia I recommend that the distribution of food and supplies be continued, and that an appropriation be made out of the public Treasury to supplement the charity of our citizens.

The issue is now with the Congress. It is a solemn responsibility. I have exhausted every effort to relieve the intolerable condition of affairs which is at our doors. Prepared to execute every obligation imposed upon me by the Constitution and the law, I await your action. . . .

I urge you, GIVE US LIBERTY! OR GIVE US DEATH!"

-President John Sherman in his address to Congress requesting a Deceleration of War against the United Kingdom

THE FINAL VOTE IN THE HOUSE
260-112 The Resolution Passes
THE FINAL VOTE IN THE SENATE
63-31 The Resolution Passes

WAR IS DECLARED

"In the aftermath of the Declaration of War by Congress, Prime Minister Gladstone, who had set his remaining political power on peace, sat stunned. He could not comprehend what President Sherman was thinking. The Empire would clearly win in any sane man's eyes. Seeing no other option in the early morning on the 17th, Gladstone requested Queen Victoria issue a royal proclamation declaring war on the United States.

An hour later, Gladstone went before the Commons and announced that the Queen had agreed to declare war on the United States. He then told them that he was too old to properly carry out the duties of Prime Minister in such a trying time. (Though in reality, he simply knew that a motion of no confidence was already taking shape from the Tories.) Gladstone announced he would be resigning effective immediately. He then told the shocked commoners that he had already advised the Queen who his replacement should be.

Right after the Declaration of War was released from Buckingham Palace, the Queen also announced that, on the advice of Gladstone, he was to be replaced by the Right Honorable, The Earl Spencer. A man experienced in government and well versed in warfare."

-from Gladstone's Last Stand
by Garrett Hart, published 2002

John-Poyntz-Spencer-5th-Earl-Spencer.jpg

THE RIGHT HONORABLE, EARL JOHN SPENCER, PRIME MINISTER OF THE UNITED KINGDOM
Also Spencer is chosen to succeed Gladstone, because Gladstone holds a deep trust in him. he's about twenty years younger and knows his way around the navy and military affairs. He is also was the Lord President of the Privy Council. His record is impressive. It's also important to note that this is the first major divergence in foreign leadership in Triple Calamity...

Spencer obviously was never PM in OTL.

"Sherman didn't have a cabinet. The Senate would refuse to give him one. In a 55-39 vote, the Senate decided not to table the vote on a vice presidential elect. The new President pro Tempore Connecticut Liberal, Orville H. Platt, promised to hold another vote on March 6th. Sherman called this move preposterous. Saying that adding any chaotic constitutional confusion during a time of such a crisis was ill-informed and dangerous. Platt didn't seem to care; the vast majority of the Liberal Party disliked Sherman. They saw the old man as a relic of the old Liberal Party; they only made him the Pro Temp to isolate him in a distant position. Obviously, they didn't expect him to become president. Platt and the Liberals wanted to see him exchanged for Custer as soon as possible. The Populists were also no friends with Sherman; as they saw it, considering Weaver came in second place, Tillman and the Populists should take control. They were united in their votes for Tillman. The final faction in the Senate then was the Republican Party. Inherently, the Republicans weren't opposed to Sherman, nor were they opposed to his internationalist leanings.

Sherman identified them as his only hope for staying in office. Sherman sat down with Cushman Davis on March 5th and agreed to a tacit alliance. The Republicans would deadlock the Senate vote for as long as possible until something more suitable could be arranged between Sherman and the Liberal leadership.

On March 6th, four votes were held in the Senate to elect a president. Though there were a lot of heated attempts to break the deadlock, the vote remained steady at

39 for Custer (36 Liberals, 3 Republicans)

30 for Tillman (all 30 People's Unionists)

19 for Harrison (16 Republicans, 3 Freedmen)

2 Abstentions (2 Liberals)

all short of the 48 needed for a majority. Cushman had clearly kept his word. Sherman and his gutted bureaucracy have now turned to the British issue. On March 7th, word from the jungle finally made it to Monrovia. Exact casualties from the skirmish of the 4th were reported; they were minimal, but Pershing expected another attack to come soon. Pershing was requesting further orders. Sherman ordered Monrovia to send him a messenger ordering him to stay in steadfast defense, not parley with the British, and fire on them if they approached. Sherman then ordered another 5,000 men from South Carolina to Liberia ASAP. He also sent another four ships to connect with Dewey. All of these orders were given on the 7th.

From our knowledge, on the same day, London gave orders to Freetown as well. These orders were explicit: Downing outnumbered Pershing, gave Pershing another ultimatum, and prepared to move in again in a heartbeat. Gladstone authorized Governor Flemming to raise troops and sent another 2000 British regulars from Gibraltar to Freetown.

On the 8th, Gladstone went before Parliament, and responses began to be weighed. Gladstone held a minority government, but he knew that retaliation was popular among the Tories. Though war was brought up, the idea was pulled from debate by Gladstone himself. Gladstone proposed instead that Parliament endorse the sending of more troops and vessels to Freetown. (This was a play for extra political standing.) Parliament overwhelmingly passed the endorsement. Soon after, they passed another resolution condemning the United States. After this session of Parliament, it is known that Gladstone discussed the idea of war with the Queen, though he did not suggest it to her. (This was on purpose, as any suggestion of war would bind Victoria to declaring it.) The aging Queen also approved of Gladstone's most recent military actions.

From what could be gathered, both DC and London understood that war was not inevitable. Sherman, in his parleys with the Canadian ambassador between the 4th and 8th, seemed at least semi-willing to back down or at the very least pay some form of reparation.

On March 9th, news arrived from Paris. From President Sadi Carnot. The French offered to arbitrate the conflict. Mere hours later, two more offers for arbitration would arrive. One from Tzar Alexander in St. Petersburg and a second from King Umberto of Italy in Rome. Once the arbitration offers were extended, Gladstone and Parliament were strongly against French arbitration, still only semi-trusting Paris. They rejected the offer. They also rejected the Tzar's offer on the 10th, fearing grudges from the Crimean conflict. Gladstone accepted the Italian offer, believing it would be the most fair.

Gladstone then made a speech to with full force to Parliament on the 10th, where he hedged all his bets on arbitration. He told Parliament that peace was at hand and that once Sherman inevitably agreed to the deal, all would be well. Gladstone decided to play as the Great Peacemaker, the way he'd save his premiership from sinking any further into irrelevancy.

Congress was fine with all three nations arbitrating. Once the British had outright declined the French and Russian offers, Speaker Reed and Pro Temp Platt urged Sherman to take the Italian deal and handle the crisis over pen and paper. From what we know, he planned to do just that in the lead up to March 11th—that is, until he got word from his allies in the Senate.

Davis and the Senate Republicans planned to end the constitutional crisis at home and vote for Custer when Sherman accepted Italian arbitration. They were just waiting for the threat of war to get out of their way. After getting this confirmed on March 12th by outside sources, Sherman came to the realization that he would lose his job.

John Sherman had sought the presidency his whole life; he envisioned for himself the grandest presidency of all. He knew he was destined for great things; he would far surpass his brother in relevance; he would be the president who beat Britain and brought the country back together after these hard decades.

We don't know exactly what he did, but we do know this. On March 13th, Commodore Dewey was ordered to pass Freetown a second time. While passing the shore, two stories were crafted.

The one that the British newspapers ran with and widely publicized was that the American vessels entered British waters. Three destroyers left dock to meet them, mere seconds after the American vessels fired at the British ones. The British quickly returned fire and triumphantly sank the vile USS John Quincy Adams. The Americans fired back, damaging the starboard bow of the HMS Albert. After the American ships fled with their tails between their legs, shocked at British prowess!

The one that the American newspapers ran with and widely publicized was that US vessels peacefully passed by Freetown on a regular patrol outside British waters. Then they were confronted with British ships. After firing warning shots to get them to move, the British vessels returned fire, sinking the great USS John Quincy Adams. The shocked and honorable Commodore Dewey returned fire, damaging a British ship, and withdrew to avoid any more casualties.

The truth is probably a mix of the two. All we truly know is what came next.

A speech in Westminster before the Commons

And a Speech in Congress before both houses..."

-from The Trilogy
by Kieren Hutchison, published 1999

-
NEXT UP! LATER TONIGHT A FULL TRANSCRIPT OF SHERMAN'S "LIBERTY OR DEATH" SPEECH IN CONGRESS!

For those just showing up read from here down to get caught up on the war stuff.

The question is could the US pull enough attention from Britain that an alt-WWI starts early , or forces the Brits into a more or less white or just slight win peace to avoid a continental Hegemon, which is their biggest worry, especially once that can project enough naval might to threaten them?

the Brits are going to want a quick knockout, and that isn't happening- the US is pretty self-reliant, and can absorb losses the way Russians can, and they can adapt fairly quickly.

The Brits best strategy would be to win big quickly, then ask for a small win, while trying to destabilize the US with its internal divisions to pressure the US into the humiliation without too much pain. If the divisions in the US heal over from this, Britain's in a long slog and they'll eventually have to deal with rebellions with their colonies and trouble in Europe. It's not as much American exceptionalism as it is British overextension that is going to put Britain on the clock.

The question is could the US pull enough attention from Britain that an alt-WWI starts early , or forces the Brits into a more or less white or just slight win peace to avoid a continental Hegemon, which is their biggest worry, especially once that can project enough naval might to threaten them?

the Brits are going to want a quick knockout, and that isn't happening- the US is pretty self-reliant, and can absorb losses the way Russians can, and they can adapt fairly quickly.

The Brits best strategy would be to win big quickly, then ask for a small win, while trying to destabilize the US with its internal divisions to pressure the US into the humiliation without too much pain. If the divisions in the US heal over from this, Britain's in a long slog and they'll eventually have to deal with rebellions with their colonies and trouble in Europe. It's not as much American exceptionalism as it is British overextension that is going to put Britain on the clock.
It’s funny because most of Europe is in panic mode. This war shouldn’t have happened, and realistically it wouldn’t have happened if anyone else were president of the United States.

Basically none of the nations in Europe are very happy that this war just started and want to see it end relatively fast.

This is sorta reminding of an Afghan quote by Jack Carr:
The Americans have the all clocks but we have all the time

As I've stated earlier this era is one of the few times the British can essentially ignore everything else in the world and focus on the war. There shouldn't be anything that would set off an early WW1 happening, there's not even any events you could really move up in Europe to set that up during this era. As for the US absorbing the losses I mean yes theoretically they can. But how are things going to feel like to the average citizen two years from now when they've lost every oversea possession, the navy is likely down to just USS Constitution and a few torpedo boats and while they may be advancing in Canada they're taking horrendous losses doing so for only a few meters of ground at a time? As for British overextension? Yeah India isn't going to rebel anytime soon, this is the era of a "loyal" India as well.

This is a mess.

I imagine the United States could take a serious pounding, I just hope that we can keep Ben Tillman away from any sort of executive position. Because the populists might well win in 1896.

Of course, that means William Jennings Bryan so he might be able to steer them away from anything global. Plus his youth won't come into question, a really old man was the one who pulled the trigger so he wouldn't lose his position.

I see William Jennings Bryan winning rather handily in 1896, and maybe actually serving out one term without incident. Of course there's a guy in September of 1901..

It’s funny because most of Europe is in panic mode. This war shouldn’t have happened, and realistically it wouldn’t have happened if anyone else were president of the United States.

Basically none of the nations in Europe are very happy that this war just started and want to see it end relatively fast.

That leads to the question how much pressure could they put on the Brits to stop it? The French and Germans aren't going to work together, and no other combination would have enough of a navy to do anything, and the whole continental isn't going to threaten an embargo- it's not that important to them.

The US is screwed here, the question is how screwed, and whether the Brits make it too insulting that it makes the US desire revenge the way the French did against Germany. When this war is over, the US military doctrine will become how to beat the Brits at sea, and they do have the capacity to rebuild, innovate, and produce enough to do it eventually, and a US-German anti-British alliance would almost be a certainty. This might also have cultural impacts on America, given how much the influence of German culture was reduced during WWI, the inverse might happen ITTL.

Britain would likely find itself diplomatically isolated afterwards, which could also end up disasterous for the ottomans if the Three Emperor Alliance continues to be a thing, and will be disasterous for France no matter what.

The only countries I could see being British allies afterwards are Japan, maybe some South American countries, and the Ottomans, and the Frnech only if they were suicidal.

I could also see the US developing unrestricted submarine warfare early ITTL.

That leads to the question how much pressure could they put on the Brits to stop it? The French and Germans aren't going to work together, and no other combination would have enough of a navy to do anything, and the whole continental isn't going to threaten an embargo- it's not that important to them.

The US is screwed here, the question is how screwed, and whether the Brits make it too insulting that it makes the US desire revenge the way the French did against Germany. When this war is over, the US military doctrine will become how to beat the Brits at sea, and they do have the capacity to rebuild, innovate, and produce enough to do it eventually, and a US-German anti-British alliance would almost be a certainty. This might also have cultural impacts on America, given how much the influence of German culture was reduced during WWI, the inverse might happen ITTL.

Britain would likely find itself diplomatically isolated afterwards, which could also end up disasterous for the ottomans if the Three Emperor Alliance continues to be a thing, and will be disasterous for France no matter what.

The only countries I could see being British allies afterwards are Japan, maybe some South American countries, and the Ottomans, and the Frnech only if they were suicidal.

I could also see the US developing unrestricted submarine warfare early ITTL.
See why would the pressure be on the British to stop it? Even from a neutral PoV it's more or less the US that wanted the war with the British trying for peace. If anything Europe is going to more on their side then the Americans. If any nation ends up diplomatically isolated Post-War it's more likely the US then the British.

If the US is smart what it would do is try and take Western Canada and just hold it till wars end. If they do that even if they fail to take Eastern Canada the British will have to return something for it. Otherwise Canada isn't going to be able to feed itself anymore.

I just realized this means Rough Riders of the North. TR better tame and ride into battle an actual bull moose at some point!

One last point, USW might work if it was later but the issue the submarine isn't matured enough technology yet to be an actual threat.

See why would the pressure be on the British to stop it? Even from a neutral PoV it's more or less the US that wanted the war with the British trying for peace. If anything Europe is going to more on their side then the Americans. If any nation ends up diplomatically isolated Post-War it's more likely the US then the British.

If the US is smart what it would do is try and take Western Canada and just hold it till wars end. If they do that even if they fail to take Eastern Canada the British will have to return something for it. Otherwise Canada isn't going to be able to feed itself anymore.

I just realized this means Rough Riders of the North. TR better tame and ride into battle an actual bull moose at some point!

One last point, USW might work if it was later but the issue the submarine isn't matured enough technology yet to be an actual threat.

Generally the international community vaguely supports the British. Sherman knew that even if the Italians arbitrated the ruling would probably be in London's favor, mostly because technically Fort Grant is in the British claim.

As for the northern rough Riders... uh... :coldsweat: no comment...

Last edited:
Teaser New
THE NEXT CHAPTER, Chapter 34: ANGLO AMERICAN WAR I- WILL CONSIST OF ALL OF THIS STUFF, Should be out tonight or sometime tomorrow

- American Political Shenanigans

- British Political Shenanigans

- Public opinion in Britain, USA and Canada

- American War plan cooking

- British War plan cooking

- News headlines on early engagements

- Closer look at early engagements

So it'll be all the really early stuff in the conflict, March-July 1893, don't expect major battles next chapter, it's mostly bills, training and preliminary actions. The most deadly fight in the next chapter happens at sea.

Last edited: