WI Lord Halifax is appointed PM in 1940?

I find this rather amusing. What you are saying implies that the current German leadership is not rational because it's not trying to "throw off the chains" of 1945 and retake Stettin.
Besides, this is typical nationalistic bias. When a nationalist wins, he sees it as natural as water, a fact of life, that the loser gives him territory, no matter if it's populated by the loser's ethnic group. But when the nationalist is defeated, then he sees exactly the same treaty conditions, applied to him, as grotesque injustice the world cannot put up with. I gather you are not informed about the terms of the Brest-Litovsk treaty, imposed by Germany onto Russia.

That won't happen, of course, because of the successful Polish-Russian ethnic cleansing of the Prussian lands. But in those days, there were still Germans living there in substantial numbers.

You could argue that Brest-Litovsk granted more freedom to certain minorities in the Russian Empire in the nationalist sense (Finland certainly, Ukraine, Poland, perhaps also the Baltic states, though they were to be mashed together and perhaps colonised if Ludendorff had his way). Instead of being part of a chauvinist Empire, they'd be nominally independent puppets of another chauvinist Empire, ruled by their own puppet governments rather than Great Russian governors and military.

IMO, if you want peace in the west in 1940 you should change not only Churchill but also Rooselvet. It was the well-funded faith in America's inovlvement that kept the british in the fight. They saw it coming through lend-lease, destroyers and, surely, Churchill-FDR meetings. With no prospect of american help, any british PM (except maybe Churchill) would accept a truce with the germans given time.

Fletch

Kicked
As far as WWI is concerned, the only sane course is to share war guilt among all major powers equally. No country was really any more or less militarist, imperialist-expansionist, and agrressive than any other.
So Germany never invaded Belgium, bringing Britain into the war? That alone counts as guilt for bringing both Belgium and Britain into the war.

As I said, the situation with regards to why other nations(Germany-France, A-H-Russia)varies, but with regards to Britain, Germany was at fault.

Fletch

Kicked
Yeah, too bad they failed to get through "unconditional surrender".

Although I eagerly concede that the main culprit of that was that senile fanatic Roosevelt of Morghentau Plan's fame, and that Churchill's stance on Germany was somewhat more realistic and humane.
Too bad the Nazis were forced to unconditionally surrender? Rubbish. Unconditional surrender took away any myth about being stabbed in the back. Also, I note the way you call Roosevelt a fanatic, a fanatic against a vile regime is no bad thing you know.
Instead Stalinist domination of half Europe is a beacon of morality ???

Goading the two big harnesses of tyranny and destruction in EUrope to mutual exaustion would have left the Western Democracies with unspent strength, in the optimal position to enforce a favourable outcome on both, or more likely the exausted Pyrric victor. If anything, it left better chances for liberating Europe from both Nazism and Communism than taking sides with one and leaving the other free run.
You would only end up with one side eventually dominating the pyre that once was europe. Tens more millions would die, the holocaust would probably be completed and either Hitler or Stalin would dominate Europe. Yeah, thats not morally vile at all.:rolleyes:

As for liberating Europe from Nazism and Communism, one side had to dominate Eastern Europe after the war. Even in this scenario, that is inescapable.

Last edited:
So Germany never invaded Belgium, bringing Britain into the war? That alone counts as guilt for bringing both Belgium and Britain into the war.

As I said, the situation with regards to why other nations(Germany-France, A-H-Russia)varies, but with regards to Britain, Germany was at fault.

I only wish to say I agree.

That won't happen, of course, because of the successful Polish-Russian ethnic cleansing of the Prussian lands. But in those days, there were still Germans living there in substantial numbers.

A fair objection – as to the specific example I made. So let me take Austria, which is not, as of today, trying to take South Tyrol from Italy.

And anticipating the next objection, I know things are different today. But even in the 1930s it was not a given (the other poster seems to be great on those) that a dispute about a minority could only be solved in the way the Sudeten were "solved". There were LoN arbitrations; the Danzig status was satisfactory until the Nazis. Heck, Hitler himself, as we know, came to an agreement with Italy as to, again, South Tyrol, and repeatedly stated he had no claim on Alsace-Lorraine (at the time when he found useful to make those statements, of course. We know he couldn't be trusted, and that he had a penchant for trying to bite off more than he could chew, and that once he had boots on the ground he did change his mind). Those two cases go to show how indeed in the other cases the "poor persecuted minorities" and the "chains of Versailles" were Nazi propaganda, no more. The real reason was what the other poster himself has acknowledged: necessary stepping stones to the dream of conquest and domination.

Too bad the Nazis were forced to unconditionally surrender? Rubbish. Unconditional surrender took away any myth about being stabbed in the back. Also, I note the way you call Roosevelt a fanatic, a fanatic against a vile regime is no bad thing you know.

More or less any fanaticism gets bad if you push it far enough. FDR's, too; he agreed with the Morgenthau Plan, which essentially called for a genocide on millions of Germans, quite possibly a bigger one than Hitler's own if it was carried through to its logical conclusion (unlikely, but as noted FDR did support it). Eisenhower said he wanted to execute after summary trial every single German above the rank of Major. That's taking revanchism too far; then you're firmly in the totalitarian camp yourself.

Fletch

Kicked
More or less any fanaticism gets bad if you push it far enough. FDR's, too; he agreed with the Morgenthau Plan, which essentially called for a genocide on millions of Germans, quite possibly a bigger one than Hitler's own if it was carried through to its logical conclusion (unlikely, but as noted FDR did support it). Eisenhower said he wanted to execute after summary trial every single German above the rank of Major. That's taking revanchism too far; then you're firmly in the totalitarian camp yourself.
Note, I never defended the Morgenthau plan.

I do, however think that the Nazis needed brought down, that the only way to ensure that such a regime would never rise again would be to demand unconditional surrender and also that to call Roosevelt a 'senile fanatic' for making this demand strikes of revisionism at its very worse, of the kind David Irving would be proud of.

But even in the 1930s it was not a given (the other poster seems to be great on those) that a dispute about a minority could only be solved in the way the Sudeten were "solved". There were LoN arbitrations; the Danzig status was satisfactory until the Nazis. Heck, Hitler himself, as we know, came to an agreement with Italy as to, again, South Tyrol, and repeatedly stated he had no claim on Alsace-Lorraine (at the time when he found useful to make those statements, of course. We know he couldn't be trusted, and that he had a penchant for trying to bite off more than he could chew, and that once he had boots on the ground he did change his mind). Those two cases go to show how indeed in the other cases the "poor persecuted minorities" and the "chains of Versailles" were Nazi propaganda, no more. The real reason was what the other poster himself has acknowledged: necessary stepping stones to the dream of conquest and domination.

Uh, I'm not sure at all that the Danzig Free City was a good or lasting solution; I don't believe any German government ever really accepted it, they just held back till they could bring up the issue. The people in the city itself certainly didn't like it and wanted to get out first chance they got. I personally don't consider it a satisfactory solution if they were kept linked to Poland by outside forces against the popular will. There was probably more justification for returning Danzig to Germany than for the Sudetenland issue. And a deal between two dictators doesn't necessarily take the people into account.

You're right, insofar as Hitler used these issues as he saw fit and wasn't genuinely concerned about the people or their national rights. But there were legitimate national grievances too, and everything didn't start with him. To say it was all propaganda is a bit much.

Note, I never defended the Morgenthau plan.

I do, however think that the Nazis needed brought down, that the only way to ensure that such a regime would never rise again would be to demand unconditional surrender and also that to call Roosevelt a 'senile fanatic' for making this demand strikes of revisionism at its very worse, of the kind David Irving would be proud of.

Senile might be the wrong word, but in 1944 he was definitely losing his grip on reality. I don't think that's too revisionist. Fanatic is perhaps debatable, but at the very least he cared very little for the German people. I know you didn't support Morgenthau, but Roosevelt did, and that says a lot about him as a person.

I personally don't think that everything that happened to Germany was necessary - I'd rather have seen a united Germany survive, somehow - but that late in the war, I agree, there was little chance for any better outcome.

You're right, insofar as Hitler used these issues as he saw fit and wasn't genuinely concerned about the people or their national rights. But there were legitimate national grievances too, and everything didn't start with him. To say it was all propaganda is a bit much.

But what I define as propaganda is not the underlying problem. I can see there was one. I define as propaganda the fact that the one and only solution was purported to be "give that back to us or else", especially given that having it back did not serve to save the poor minorities from evil persecution - it served to launch wars of aggression.

hammo1j

Donor
The standard belief in the UK is that Conservative traitor Halifax would betray the country and strike a deal with his equivalent in the Nazis, Hitler, just so his hegemony over the working classes could be maintained.

Again this belief, which the AHF demonstrates is a complete lie, shows how far the SU (Anaxorgras please dont ask it is the USSR) infiltrated the West with their desire to overthrow from within.

Prob if no Thatcher we would be Soviet vassall by now.

The standard belief in the UK is that Conservative traitor Halifax would betray the country and strike a deal with his equivalent in the Nazis, Hitler, just so his hegemony over the working classes could be maintained.

Again this belief, which the AHF demonstrates is a complete lie, shows how far the SU (Anaxorgras please dont ask it is the USSR) infiltrated the West with their desire to overthrow from within.

Prob if no Thatcher we would be Soviet vassall by now.
That's hilarious!

Especially the "Thatcher saved us from the evil Commies!" bit.

General Zod

Banned
Neither one, of course. Nothing ensured anything at the time when the decision makers had to take their decisions. But I'll add that the idea of a mutual exhaustion is particularly unlikely.

Not in the age of industrial warfare, espeically if it's an attrition one (which would be most familiiar in 1939 thanks to WWI).

The much more likely outcome would be one winner takes all, and notwithstanding horrific losses he's now got the resources to be the European superpower.

"Winner takes all" in this contest means the Wehrmacht marching to the Urals or the Red Army marching to the Atlantic. Not terribly likely outcomes. The latter is rather outlandish given the rersources DE and SU have here, and the former is not terribly likely either, with Hitler at the helm.

I concede however that this may be difficult to foresee in 1939-40, without hindsight.

A possible alternative is indeed a draw, which however leaves both dictatorships standing.

But weakened, and rather liable to downfall and/or containment. An intact British Empire would little difficulty at this point to keep at least Western Europe free (which replicates OTL outcome but with less destruction) or to prod the internal downfall of at least one dictatorship, most probably the Nazi one, which would be way better than OTL.

Oh yes, but not in this case.

Precisely in this case. Notwithstanding the overwhelming horrid record of the Nazi regime as human rights goes, they were in the right as they rejected Versailles limitations on their nation's economy and territorial integiry, and pushed for the reintegration of ethnic nationals which had been separated against their will. These are the things that any other German leadership caring to redress balance for their nation would have done, even if they had not had an aggressive agenda on other peoples.

If the real reason for developing nuclear capabilities for a dangerous, fanatical state is not to have peaceful nuclear energy but to develop nuclear weapons, then sorry, even though having peaceful nuclear energy would be a fair ambition, I'll subscribe the policies that try and prevent that state from developing nuclear capabilities.

Denying national self-determination on the excuse that the involved populaces will use their independence wrongly is besides a greased out slippery slope to preemptive wars and permanent military occupation, a self-fulfilling prophecy to stir up precisely that kind of aggressive nationalism you hop to shield against. Versailles and the 1923 occupation of the Ruhr worked so well to keep the Germans down. The only way to enforce Versailles permanently was permanent military occupation of Germany and Austria. Good luck to Britain and France with that.

The difference between claiming a nuclear program and claiming self-determination for your nationals is huge, the same between buying a rifle and having the wage to afford and buy a rifle (among many other things).

National self-determination was but one of the considerations, and others were just as important.

Only if you assume the agenda of keeping Germany shackled to its 1919 status of a pariah nation with unequal rights was a valid, just and sustainable one in the long term, which besides being a pipe dream of extreme French and Polish nationalism, the demographic and econ omic ablance of 1900s Europe being what it is, was a big part of what caused Naqzism in the first place.

The argument seems ridiculous because you misunderstood it. I never claimed anything of the above. I only pointed out that your statement that the Sudeten were populated by Germans was, and remains, inaccurate.

Sudetenland Germans were one-fourth of the whokle population of Czechoslovakia and 90% of the Sudetenland areas, plus an handful of other enclaves which lacked territorial continuity with Germany. This makes those areas "German" to all criteria that matter.

While we're talking about ridiculous statements, I find ridiculous both to mention "collaborationist minorities" and "empires" when it comes to the Czechs in the Sudeten. Not only you seem unaware of the basic mechanisms of ethnic population; the mingling of ethnic groups, sometimes from village to village, sometimes within the very same damn small hamlet, was a rule since medieval times and had nothing to do with deliberate colonizing or with collaborationists in the case at hand. Those deliberate policies have taken place in the last decades in Tibet, but they are out of the picture in the Sudeten.

You grasp the straws and fail the crux of my argument. Which is: to deny the 90% of a population of an area national self-determination because the 10% wants to stay with parent nation is a ridiculous and tyrannical argument, notwithstanding the way the 10% ended there, be it conmingling since time immemorial or immigration over the last generation or two. I just quoted colonial immigrations since they were just the easiest examples.

Finally, the Czechs who ended up in Germany were not a puny number.

Well, in the right TL, the Sudetenland and Austria would have been awarded to Germany in 1919, the lessened national humiliation maybe would have prevented the rise of Nazism, and according to the typical way of solving the issue of "residual" minorities post-WWI, namely population exchange. The Czech gets their independent republic in Czech lands, the Sudetenland get their reunification with Germany in German lands, tiny Czech minority in Sudetenland gets moved to Bohemia-Moravia, tiny German minority in Bohemia-Moravia gets moved to Germany. Problem solved.

Highly irrelevant. You were claiming the British were paying no price for letting Germany bloat out of proportion and, as you yourself stated above, build its own stepping stones to continental domination.

Denying German people national self-determination was not the answer. Besides the fact it was already tried nd failed, and that it would only fan the flames of aggressive German nationalism, it was essentially petty as Austria and the Sudetenland went. Germany was almost double the size of France as manpower and economy went, and could have undergone the path to continental domination, whether they had Austria and the Sudetenland, or not. And the 1939 borders were not "Germany bloated out of proportion". It was the 1848 unification accomplished.

I pointed out that strategically, letting Germany get rid of its 1930 vulnerabilities (the Rheinland demilitarization, the Sudeten arrow pointed at its side) was not a no-price option.

There are such things as an untenable position, in the long run. Upholding the Versailles settlement was one. An attempt to do so was simply to make things worse in the long run (such as causing a revanchist German leadership to come into power, which was much more competent than the Nazists).

The fortifications lost are, from a practical point of view, a huge figure in the losses column for anybody considering Germany a potential enemy.

As if the Germans could not simply outflank them through the Austrian border in a war, which totally lacked them. The Anschluss made them wholly obsolete anyway. Sure, the Czechs might rebuild them there, too, but if they can do so, they can rebuild them at the Sudetenland border anyway.

Yes. Chamberlain made the mistake of believing Hitler when he said that the Sudeten were his last territorial claim.

About this, Hitler made an even worse mistake making that statement in the first place. I'm an ardent believer that invading Bohemia and Moravia in 1939 was the first big foreign policy blunder that led to German defeat in WWII (there were several others previosuly, such as not switching to diesel for military vehicles, but they were related to mistakes in military buildup). It was petty and stupid, letting the whole world witness your word is blatantly worthless, when they could have obtained 80% of what gained with military occupation, with economic pressure, since the Czech rump was landlocked among German lands and the Slovak satellite anyway.

Anyway, making that statement was another stupid blunder, the liar overreaching himself with gratuitous lies, when it was obvious that Germany was going to restate a claim over the Polish border sooner or later. He should have qualified that statement, as in the Sudetenland being his last claim in Czechoslovakia, and sticked to that.

Anyway, Chamberlain was stupid too to believe that statement, even without having real insight about the depth of Hitler's Lebenstraum agenda, one just ought to compare the list of long-standing German irredentist claims in Europe (Reinland, Austria, Sudetenland, Danzig, the Corridor, Upper Silesia, Memel), which long predated Nazism, to knwo that the Sudetenland were not "last German territorial claim" (the same way that Abkazia-Ossetia by all likelihood is not the last Russian claim in Europe, and any contrary statement would be a blatant lie).

Hitler promptly showed he was wrong, and in the face of the fait accompli, Chamberlain's option was to draw a line at the _next_ aggression. It's all rather linear, actually, once you get rid of Nazi obfuscation of the issue.

Well, one might argue that a possibly much more profitable alternative strategy (especially taking the very poor Anglo-French performance in 1939-40) was for Paris and London to wash their hands out of Poland, keep on with their rearming, and using their intact strength to enforce a favourable deal on the weakened victor of the coming struggle between Germany and Russia. Since that stretegy would have been even much more effective done in 1939, with France intact and Benelux free, than in 1940.

Chamberlain's choices only make sense if one assumes British garantee would keep Germany away from Poland forever, which was not really believable. The 1919-21 border was unacceptable for the German public before Hitler.

Again the coming clash between Germany and Russia was predictable, once Poland was done away one way (partition) or another (satellization), and it was not in the Western Democracies' interest to take one part decisively in that struggle. Or truly (but the occupation of Bohemia-Moravia was a serious sign against that) Polish claims would have been the end of German expansion in Europe, and that it was not worth a war.

Interesting misspelling.

Dude, if you wish to read my posts without tearing your eyes out, kindly please learn to ignore my misspellings. Due to my horrid typing skills :eek::eek:, I make an awful legion of them, so no use in going Da Vinci Code on them. ;):p

About my overwhelming lack of sympathy for 1919-39 Poland, I stated it clearly in other threads. They thought they could bully both Germany and Russia forever with French help, and reaped what they sowed.

He overestimated his own country's war potential, he thought the French army was the best in the world, he did not think the USSR and Germany would have come to a partition agreement, and I could go on.

Now, lack of hindsight in the British is one thing, but the 1939 Polish policy is undefensible. Polish nationalists were megalomanic idiots who hoped the once-in-a-blue-moon political accident of 1919 (both neighboring great powers crippled by defeat and revolution) was a permanent geopolitical fact and they could rebuild the huge Kingdom of Poland over the corpses of two powers way mightier than them, on the demograhic and economic rise since last century, with the help of another great power which had been declining for a century. The policy they had kept since 1919 was bringing them to a crash course to another partition, since the moment Germany and Russia had agreed, even momentarily, about that, France could do zero about that. And besides the long-term threads, which were obvious to anyone with insight, the coming patition was obvious the moment the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was signed.

And the German victory was not a foregone conclusion, especially the one in the West in 1940 was far from the cakewalk some still believe today – it was a close-run thing.

Only true to some degree, but true as one takes into account the complex causal chain that allowed the Manstein plan to be adopted.

Anyway, the best realistic outcome for the Anglo-French was another long-stretch of attrition warfare and blockade.

Nobody can say anything for sure, of course. What can be said for sure is that sooner or later Germany deemed it necessary to directly run plenty of places,

Typically only when the vassal tried to escape the alliance. Cfr. Italy, Hungary, Vichy France. Also probably either Romania or Bulgaria, I would need to check forsure.

I wouldn't bet on Poland being as far from the German grasp as Finland and Bulgaria.

The issue was not the nearness of the grasp. Hungary was well within it, but they didn't occupy it until the satellite tried to drop from their alliance, and Hungarian Jews were not included in the Final Solution until there. was direct German occupation. Same happened in Italy and Vichy France. Until then, discriminated, but alive.

I find this rather amusing. What you are saying implies that the current German leadership is not rational because it's not trying to "throw off the chains" of 1945 and retake Stettin.

Too bad that thanks to the extensive Russo-Polish ethnic cleansings post 1945, there is scarcely an ethnic German in Stettin, or elsewhere in Poland or the Czech Republic anymore.

I gather you are not informed about the terms of the Brest-Litovsk treaty, imposed by Germany onto Russia.

I am rather familiar with them, thank you. There is a big difference, however, the lands and peoples that B-L wrestled from the Czarist (soon to be the Soviet) Empire, were never Russian in the first place, they were subject nationalities that were not exactly enthusiastic to be subjects of the Russians, not too much reluctant to become independent vassals of the (relatively rather more enlightened, econimically advanced, and liberal) German Empire than the Czar's, or Lenin's.

Besides, in WWI it was exactly the same British policy as against France, and Spain, and again Germany later: gang up against the would-be continental superpower.

A policy that had become more and more outdated and untenable in the XIX and XX Centuries, with the inevitable coming of widespread industrialization and big national states in Europe. The balance of power was really feasible only as long as half of Europe was a mess of tiny feudal-dynastic minors, and the existing great powers were pre-industrial.

While a Nazi victory would mean just that, a sole superpower in Europe.

Only if they reach the Urals, and go Sealion.

I'm not surprised that no statesman subscribed to such a dubious and unlikely policy. In any case, if there is a victor, he'll be Pyrrhic for five years, maybe. The manpower pool is there. The raw resources are there. The territory is there. The know-how is there...

And the Nazis or the Soviets were so efficient managers of their empires :eek::rolleyes:... They won't shoot themselves in the foot with terrible economic management, hamhanded use of brute force, lousy education, and a more and more unappealing political system, and go the way of the Assyrians.

oops, save for the nuclear one. The scenario you portray, however unlikely, probably has a series of mushrooms over Europe looming, no matter if they are against the Nazis or the Commies. Nice job.

Hence, Patton was right. In 1945, don't stop at the Elbe, go all the way to Moscow.

SU? What does Syracuse University have to do with anything? You must be talking about the USSR. But I digress...

If Lord Halifax had become Prime Minister, I am not convinced that he would have made peace with Germany, though he might have don so. Either way, it's not good for the UK, because Churchill was an entirely unique individual who was the ideal warlord for the moment. I cannot imagine Halifax emerging as the leader which Churchill was and I cannot imagine Halifax havign the ability to rally the British people the way Churchill did.

SU means Soviet Union.

I know that Zod speaks about moving the PoD back to avoid the occupation of Bohemia-Moravia and the blatant betrayal, but we don't really have that here in this thread--it's kind of like killing Hitler wouldn't stop Germany from radicalizing. Halifax as PM might mean peace in a different setup--just like Neville had offered Germany an "Easy Peace" after the defeat of Poland.

So, PM Halifax would simply lead the UK to victory against Germany, perhaps in a different style and we might see a different cold-war curtain between the Soviet Union and the West, but this is comparatively small butterflies for these events.