The Year of Broken Promises - A Finnish Timeline

Introduction/Title Card

O child of Finland, don't give away your lovely land!

For the strangers' bread tastes bitter, and their words are coarse

Their skies, days are without light, their hearts are strange to you

O child of Finland, don't give away your lovely land.

es1.jpg

O child of Finland, your land is beautiful,

And great it is, glorious,

Its waters shimmer, its fields are in bloom,

Its shores are renowned.

The nights are bright, the days are warm,

And the sky holds a thousand stars;

O child of Finland, your land is beautiful,

And great it is, glorious.

es2.jpg

O child of Finland, this precious land of yours

Remember forevermore!

No happiness, no life

Can you find elsewhere.

Where ever you may go,

Your roots will remain in your land of birth.

O child of Finland, this precious land of yours

Remember forevermore!

es4.jpg

Last edited:
This is a timeline I have been planning for some time. It is the story of a Finnish family in an alternate 1939 and 1940. It will be made up of prose sections and more traditional "history book" sections. Let's see if I can see it through - I have some pretty ambitious plans of extending it into a multi-year continuity, depending on how well I do with this one and how it is received.

The story starts in the next post where we meet some of our characters...

One: Veli

One: Veli

Veli looked down at the dusty man at his feet, the grimacing face of a man who had just been declared dead.[1]

As the umpire blew into his whistle to signal the end of the ninth inning, and thus the entire game, Veli took the ball out of his glove and raised his hands over his head in celebration. In the modest stands next to the sports field, an equally modest crowd made mostly of the younger boys and girls and men and women of the village cheered and clapped their hands. It was the fourth home win in a row for the HiNsU[2], and now the team topped the local league's table as only a handful of games was left in the season.

Veli Vaara was the team's pitcher, and as such he was a very important component of the team's success. Today as well he had mostly managed to moot the opposition's best hitters with his crafty pitches. Today, his ”pole”[3] had held well, and he had even taken a few ”flies”[4] as well. As the losing side, from Kurkimäki along the railway, left the field towards the Youth Association House, the nine HiNsU players stayed on the field celebrating, shaking hands and patting each other on the back.

”Damn good game, Veli”, Väinö Korhonen, playing second base, praised his team-mate. He lowered his voice and nodded towards the stands.

”I saw Emma stare at you in rapt attention as you took out the last couple of runners. She seemed mighty impressed, if you catch my drift...”

”Oh, shut up”, Veli said and made as to punch Väinö, feeling a blush creeping to his face. Luckily he was already red from the physical exertion of the pesäpallo game and Väinö would be none the wiser.

Emma was the daughter of the neighbour of the Vaara farm, a dark-haired, very fit young woman of twenty who by some reason was not yet spoken for. Everyone knew that Emma was a champion athlete herself, the winner of many a skiing contest even on the provincial level, as much as she was headstrong and easy to anger. A right firecracker, she was.

Most of Veli's team-mates knew that the pitcher was sort of sweet on the girl and made a point of teasing him about it. Veli didn't quite know how to take it all, but he tried to hold his own in the young men's horseplay.

As the stands started emptying out and also the HiNsU players begun to file towards the Youth Association House, Veli picked up his glove and bat, and then glanced at the members of the audience leaving. His eyes fixed to the three girls walking away, together like always – the two Ollikainen sisters, with their straw-blonde hair, flanking the taller, raven-haired Emma Kerman on both sides. Just as he was turning his eyes away from the trio, Esteri Ollikainen looked back and caught his gaze – and then turned to the two girls, laughing and nodding towards him.

Feeling the red again creeping to his face, Veli took off towards the House with a rather exaggarated vigor in his step.

While inside the House, in the room now temporarily used for the HiNsU players for changing their clothes, Veli removed the home-made team shirt his sister had embroidered with the team's logo, splashed some water over his upper body and then reached for the towel. There were no facilities for an actual wash, but then he was going to the sauna in a couple of hours anyway. He put on his shirt, grabbed his bag and bat, and started to make his way out when he saw two men blocking his way. They were the opposing team's third baseman[5] and shortstop[6], Niskanen and Mähönen.

”Good game”, Niskanen said, ”for a Communist, I mean...”

He made a knowing look towards his friend who just sniggered.

Communist, heh heh...”

”We'll sort you out yet, you bloody Red”, Niskanen continued before Veli managed to say anything, ”so savour your victories now when you still can...”

Veli Vaara straightened his back and looked Niskanen hard in the eye. He was a fair bit taller than either of the two men.

”Careful, Niskanen”, he said with a bit of a snarl, ”you don't want to slip on the floor there – we just had it polished. It is still slippery, and you might get hurt if you don't mind what you are doing...”

As Veli made as to raise a fist and take a step towards Niskanen, a fourth man suddenly stepped in between him and the two others.

”Ville and Pekka”, he said calmly, ”why don't you step outside with the others, we'll be leaving in a minute”.

This was Kovalainen, the Kurkimäki team's captain. A bit older at 26 and a man with decent authority over his team-mates, he smiled apologetically to Veli as Niskanen and Mähönen turned around, sullen, and made for the outer door.

”Sorry about that. Niskanen's a hothead, and he can't quite grasp the difference between a Social Democrat and a Communist”, he said, shaking his head.

”But then I guess you would know all about that, right?”

Veli Vaara nodded.

”Tell me about it. It can't be helped.... Good game, though, Jaakko. Too bad your two home runs were not enough...”

Kovalainen grimaced.

”Well, you can hit as many home runs as you damn well like, but if you are as rubbish on the defence as we were today...”

He shrugged.

”Anyway, there was something I wanted to tell you. Your team's been very good this season, and I wondered... Well, if you do make it to the upper tier in the fall, I wanted to ask if there might be a spot for me in the team come spring?”

That was unexpected, but after thinking a while, Veli managed an answer.

”I'll have to ask the boys, naturally, but I guess there'll be an opening. The younger Korhonen's beginning his military service in the spring, so we'll be one short. I was thinking about our Jorma, for a runner, but then I guess we'd rather need an experienced hitter... I'll have to break it to Jorma that he'll still be just a substitute, but otherwise I think you'd fit the team alright. I promise to put in the good word for your.”

The two men shook hands, and then left together for the front door.

The afternoon sun of August was still warm on his face as Veli stepped out of the Youth Association House. The dust had settled on the modest sports field, and across it, down the hill, the young man of 23 could see golden fields waiting for the scythe and the sickle, spread out between copses of birch and pine trees, framed by a shimmering lake in the distance. A bit of rolling Savonian countryside waiting for the harvest.

The next few weeks would be filled with work on the Vaara farm as well. It did not help at all that his brother would not be taking part in most of the work, either, Veli thought and felt a slight discomfort in his back, a ghost of the farm work to come.

Deep in thought, the man turned around to start the light four-kilometer walk home when he almost bumped headlong into a young woman.

Raising his head, Veli found himself looking at smiling eyes framed by steel-rimmed glasses.

”That's my twin brother, so deep inside his head he tries to walk through people!”, Sisko Vaara quipped to him with a ironic smile on her face. She had her student cap set at a jaunty angle on top of her bob cut hair.

Now a smile spread on Veli's face as well as he grabbed his sister into his arms and hugged her.

”You're already here? I thought you would be coming in the evening?”

Her sister the academic shrugged and smiled.

”I made the earlier train, and so the earlier boat as well. I'll have more time to help Mother with the party preparations, now... I saw the last three innings of the game, too. You played well.”

”Funny, I didn't see you there in the stands...”

”I guess you had other things on your mind. Maybe a girl...”

Sisko gave Veli a cheeky smile.

Veli glared at his sister.

”Not you, too? Heaven help me.”

”Can't help it, you're just too easy, o brother of mine”, Sisko Vaara said as the two started making their way home, along the dry and dusty country road, through a countryside in bloom.

Notes:

[1] A player out of the game was originally called ”dead” before pesäpallo terminology was reformed.

[2] Hirvilahden Nuorisoseuran Urheilijat, or ”the Hirvilahti Youth Association Athletes”.

[3] In pesäpallo pitching is vertical instead of horizontal like in baseball. A ”pole” (tolppa) is a very high but still straight pitch which skilled pitchers use to mess with hitters.

[4] A runner that is ”forced out” between hits by the defensive players is called a ”fly” (kärpänen).

[5] Kolmosvahti.

[6] Polttaja.

To Be Continued...

[filler]

Last edited:
Two: Arvo

Two: Arvo

The smallish wooden motor boat cut a path across the waves of Lake Kallavesi. A man in his late 50s was steering, listening to the sound of the domestic Andros inboard motor for trouble. The motor had been acting up as of late, and the man didn't want to get stranded with a malfunctioning machine.

At the prow of the boat sat a younger man. Twenty-five at most, the boatman would have estimated the man's age, a handsome, tall man who seemed to be very sure of himself. The man carried himself like a military officer, which was rather logical given that he was also wearing the uniform of one. The uniforms of the Finnish cavalry and dragoons were among the most old-fashioned used by the country's young military, and with his black riding boots, red trousers, and grey-white ”skeleton tunic”, the man cut a very traditionally martial figure indeed.

”Can't you get this thing moving any faster?”, the younger man said with an edge to his voice, ”I don't really have the time for a leisurely Sunday outing”.

The boatman looked at the man and then at his bags, stacked near his feet, and sighed internally.

”Listen, mister warlord[1]”, he said, and got interrupted by the man.

”It's lieutenant, man!”, he snapped, indicating the two bright metal pips on both sides of his high collar, ”don't you know your ranks?”

The boatman ground his teeth and then spoke up again.

”Mister lieutenant, you could call old Rieti many things, but a milit'ry man wouldn't be among them epithets. What ever I learned during my stint in the forces, and that was them old forces, that I've already forgotten...”

He spat over the side of the boat and looked at the younger man again.

”Now, you wanted a boat to take you to Hirvilahti. You got it, mister. You wanted to get there before the next ship in the morning. You'll get that too. But this old tub ain't getting any faster with you complaining. It might get faster, just maybe, if you paid what you owed me right now, what?”

Arvo Vaara gave the boatman a poisonous stare and then turned his eyes north-west towards the home shore that was slowly creeping closer. He didn't have the energy right now to argue with the man he had hired in Kuopio to get to his family home in time. The train ride from Lappeenranta had been long enough as it was, it had sapped some of his usual vigor.

”You'll get your money when we get to Vaarala[2], all right. Just get me there”, he said with an acidic tone to his voice and left it at that.

The Vaara farm was situated right next to the shores of Lake Kallavesi, and not far from the Hirvilahti village pier itself. The farm even had its own pier, but then of course the bigger passenger vessels out of Kuopio would not stop there.

Usually, that is. Tomorrow, though, a steam ship would come directly to the farm's pier, just because everyone aboard would be coming directly to Vaarala.

For the party.

And that was why Lieutenant Arvo Vaara of the Häme Mounted Regiment[3] was coming home this time as well.

The sun was already closer to the horizon when the boat was finally tied up to the Vaarala pier. Arvo told the old boatman that if he didn't want to go back to Kuopio overnight, they could find a hayloft for him to sleep in, and there would be some food for him before that, too. The man accepted those terms, and even helped Arvo carry his bags to the farm itself.

There was nobody at the yard when Arvo and Rieti reached Vaarala. Arvo could see a lot of movement in the main building, though, and when they got to the building's door, Arvo saw Jussi, one of the Vaarala farmhands, barge out from behind the corner. The man stopped in his tracks and cocked his head.

”Well if isn't Mister Arvo come back to see us! How do you do”, the man said and smiled, ”how's the crown[4] been treating you, soldier?”

Arvo smiled at old Jussi and shook his hand with a firm grip.

”I won't lie to you – it's a lot of work, breaking in the new recruits. But I'm doing fine, I think. They promoted me too”, he said, raising his chin to make the two metal pips more visible.

The old, trusted farmhand nodded.

”Your father told us about that, congratulations, lieutenant! Seems that a military career is suiting you just fine.”

Arvo nodded, looking past Jussi towards the main house.

”Say, Jussi... Take care of Rieti here, find him something to eat and a place to spend the night...”

He looked at the boatman.

”You'll get your money in a minute, go with Jussi here and we'll settle my bill.”

That said, Arvo Vaara gathered his bags and went in the front door of the big red-painted, two-storied farmhouse. He dropped the bags in the foyer and followed the sounds of busyness to the main hall.

”...And don't forget the Karelian stew, Niina! We'll need to make sure we have enough for everyone, and that goes for the weak beer too – ask Sisko to help you with...

”Mother”, Arvo said from the door to the stout woman in her mid-40s standing in the middle of the hall, doling out orders to his children and maids, much like a particularly effective company quartermaster.

”Arvo! I was already wondering what's gone and happened to you! Now that you're here, you can take off your suit of armor and help us with the preparations... Oh, but you must be hungry. Here, eat some Karelian pastries, Sisko's just making some egg butter to go with them...”

Arvo could see his mother was so immersed in organizing her husband's party that she barely had time to greet her son.

”Mother, good to see you”, he said, ”you're busy, so I won't take your time any more than necessary”.

He lowered his voice.

”Could you send someone... to pay the boatman who brought me over? It seems I... I lost my wallet on the train...”

After that business was settled, Arvo drifted over to the kitchen, to get some of the pastries, and to be hugged vigorously by his twin sister, Sisko.

”Why if it isn't my brother the headless horseman! It must be, what, five months since I saw you. What are you now, a colonel?”

Arvo smiled and made as if to salute the first female university student in the family.

”You wish. You don't get... colonel's tabs... at 23, not during... peace time at... the very least...”, he said, shovelling some pastries with butter and eggs into his mouth at the same time.

”I am sure you're not... a doctor of philosophy... yet, either?”

Sisko shook her head.

”That – that requires some actual work, instead of, you know, waiting for some old officer to retire or to get a stroke and fall off his horse to get his spot at the top. Even the battles in the academia are slightly less bloody than what you lot might have to go through in your line of business”, the young woman said, smiling sweetly and continuing to mash boiled eggs together with home-churned butter.

”Ha.”

In the hall, Arvo's and Sisko's mother continued to give out orders for each and every member of the household she could lay her eyes on. Arvo looked around himself, making it an exaggarated gesture of searching for something.

”Where's Veli, now? Shirking Mother's orders, is he?”

”He went to the sauna, just a while ago.”

Arvo took some water from a jug and drank deep, then wiped his mouth and looked at his sister.

”Not a bad move at all, for our Veli... You know, dear sister, maybe I'll follow my brother's example”.

The young officer walked out of the kitchen, and then towards the sauna building closer to the shore. To be fair, if had been a long trip he had taken today, all the way from the barracks to Vaarala, and now the sauna would be exactly what he needed.

Arvo took the familiar tree-lined path towards the old smoke sauna, the path he had walked countless times as a boy and a man, a path taking him slightly down the hill towards the waters of Lake Kallavesi, still now, reflecting the light of the evening sun at his back. As he got to the water's edge, he could see a family of black-throated loons slowly passing him by, paddling below the low-hanging branches of the big old birch next to the sauna. A wooden rowboat had been drawn to shore under the birch, as well.

After entering the building made of heavy old logs, Arvo took off his uniform in silence, and hung it on the pegs in the sauna's anteroom. All his clothes removed, he walked to the door of the sauna proper and grasped the worn wooden handle, making the heavy door open with a creak.

Upon entering the warm, dimly lit room, its walls darkened with the smoke of ages[5], he could see the figure of a man sitting on the uppermost bench.

”Veli”, he said, nodding, and then took some cold water to pour over his head, before walking to his brother and shaking his hand.

”Arvo”, his younger brother, younger by mere five minutes, greeted him, and made some room for him on the wooden bench.

”So the cavalry let you go for a moment, then? Seems we're not going to war in the next few days, at least”, he said, matter of factly, and poured some water on the hot stones in front of the two men.

Here in the dim light of the sauna, it would have been impossible for a casual observer to distinguish the two Vaara brothers from each other. Built the same way, tall and muscular, and sharing the very same facial features, Arvo and Veli exhibited all the hallmarks of identical twins. They even wore their hair the same way, and their chins and lips were equally shaven. Really, at the moment, only their siblings and parents could distinguish the two brothers from each other by mere physical features only.

”It is only a few days, though”, Arvo said after a while, ”there's a big military exercise near Viipuri starting next week and our unit's taking part in it. I'll be leaving again right after the party...”

Arvo saw a look on his brother's face and knew what it was about.

”So I won't be here for the harvest... But I am a soldier. I've got my duty and my orders”, he said.

”I've got my duty to the Fatherland.”

Veli said nothing, only picked up the vasta made out of birch branches with leaves on them, and started lighly beating his back with it.

As much as the two brothers looked alike, in beliefs and attitudes they were very different. Arvo had been an active member of the Civil Guards since he was a boy, and later on had chosen the career of a military officer, to much divided feelings among his parents and siblings. By all accounts, he was very good at it, too.

Veli, on the other hand, was not interested in military matters at all. If he had taken part in Civil Guard training at all, it had been for the sports, a side of it he had excelled in. He had completed his military service, like everyone else, but with minimum effort. In the end, he had been released to life in the reserve as a mere private. And, after his service, he had abandoned the Civil Guards entirely. To the chagrin of his father and to the surprise of most people who knew him, at age 21 he joined the Social Democratic Party.

In fact, for all Lieutenant Arvo Vaara knew, his twin brother was now a pacifist.

The two men sat together in the silence for a while. Arvo used a vasta of his own. Veli poured some more water on the stones, making the heat attack the brothers' heads and then shoulders.

”It is good to see you, anyway”, Veli said after a while, ”if just for a few days.”

Arvo nodded.

”You too, brother.”

After a while more in the semidarkness, and after a few more ladles of water on the hot stones, the two men exited the sauna to take a swim in the cool, still waters of Lake Kallavesi.

Notes:

[1] Herra sotaherra.

[2] The name often used for the Vaara farm since Salomo Vaara bought it for the family.

[3] Hämeen Ratsurykmentti (HRR).

[4] Kruunu. As old-fashioned as the term is, ”crown” was very much still used in interwar Finland in reference to the state and its military.

[5] A traditional smoke sauna is slowly warmed through the day, with the smoke filling the entire room through the process. Only when the sauna is good and ready, is the smoke let out and the sauna aired.

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
Three: Sisko

Three: Sisko

A BORDER VIOLATION ON THE KARELIAN ISTHMUS

Three Russian airplanes crossed the border twice

Machine-gun fire by the Border Guard drove away the uninvited guests

Yesterday another egregious border violation took place on the Karelian Isthmus. About 11 a.m. three Russian airplanes, two fighters and one bomber, crossed over the Finnish border somewhat north of the bridge over Rajajoki. The planes flew all the way to the Ollila station, but after fire was opened against them...

After a busy night and an equally hectic morning, Sisko suddenly found herself without anything to do. True to form, she decided to sneak into her father's study and to borrow a stack of newspapers to browse through. In the last few days, she hadn't had the time to read up on current events, and now she took the opportunity to leaf through a few days old copies of both the Helsingin Sanomat[1] and the Savon Sanomat[2].

A DOUBLE VICTORY POSSIBLE IN THE FINLAND-SWEDEN ATHLETICS COMPETITION

Record results, surprises, a successful start in Stockholm

Savolainen better than Strandberg, Mäki stronger than Jonsson in brilliant feats of running

Sisko should have been helping in the last preparations for her father's party, but then her participation had been torpedoed by the man of the hour himself.

"She's a university student, Alma", he had told her wife, his piercing eyes peering brightly from behind his round spectacles, "she will be a doctor some day not so far in the future. When the guests arrive, I will not have her bustling around like some common maid! She'll join us at the main table, among my guests."

And that was that. Sisko Vaara had been dropped off her mother's work roster and told to put on her better clothes for the party, and to remember to wear her student cap so that her status as a university student would not be unclear to anyone.

20 000 MEN WILL TAKE PART IN WAR GAMES

30 000 kg of food needed daily

3000 horses and 400 motor vehicles included

Troop concentrations next Sunday and Monday to the east and north of Viipuri

Sisko did not like to read on the political and military developments in Europe, things seemed much too tense right now, what with Germany and Poland, and other nations in central Europe besides, seemingly more ready to go at each other's throats every passing day. So, she rather focused on the domestic news and cultural and economic issues.

THE FOREIGN GUESTS OF THE TEMPERANCE CONFERENCE ARRIVE

The chairman of the International Temperance Union in Finland

Altogether twenty-two nations are represented in the conference

”What does 'temperance' mean, Sisko?”, she suddenly heard a voice next to her.

It was Erkki, his baby brother, standing there holding his dear toy badger. Erkki was her parents' evening star, altogether 17 years younger than the Vaara triplets. At age six, he had proved to be a very inquisitive and headstrong boy.

”Did you read it from the paper, Erkki?”, she asked and the fair-haired boy nodded.

”Veli has been teaching me to read”, he said brightly.

I'm sure he has, she thought with an inward smile. He'll have you reading and memorizing the Forssa Program [3] soon enough.

”Well, Erkki, 'temperance' means that one does not drink alcohol, or at least practices strict limits on their consumption of alcoholic beverages – like your parents, for example”, Sisko told her brother who nodded solemnly.

”I see. Why do adults drink alcohol, if not drinking it is better?”

A good question.

”The thing is, I understand, that drinking some alcohol makes one feel nice and happy”, the young university student told the boy in his summer shorts, ”but then drinking more makes one stupid and clumsy. And if one drinks too much, the next day they will be feeling sick, have a headache and a sore stomach.”

Erkki nodded again.

”That sounds bad. When I grow up, I will join the International Temperance Union and never drink alcohol at all.”

He looked at his plushy toy animal.

”And neither will Mister Badger.”[4]

Sisko nodded, smiling.

”That is definitely a good decision for you and for Mister Badger as well.”

Erkki never went anywhere these days without his black and grey toy. One day, last year, he had been roaming in the woods behind the cowshed when he had spotted an animal he had never seen before. Veli told her that Erkki had come running to him, excitedly asking about the furry fellow snuffling about in the woods, one that had run off after it had noticed the boy. Veli had told his brother that the funny-looking animal was a badger, or a ”forest pig” like it was also called.

Some days passed. Then one night Erkki had dreamed about badgers, and after that he had started demanding that he should get a pet badger for himself. He had asked it from his parents repeatedly, and even if her mother explained to her that a badger is a creature of the forest, not a pet, he had not given up. Even after his father had given him a spanking to disabuse him of the badger obsession, Erkki had not given up. Finally, exasperated, Alma Vaara had got a bright idea and commissioned a Kuopio seamstress to make a stuffed toy badger to Erkki. Oh the happiness when the boy finally got the furry thing he had long wanted. Perhaps to alleviate the fact that it was not a real live badger, Erkki had named the toy Mister Badger and started carrying it around with him what ever he did.

”Sisko!”, she heard a woman's voice calling out to her, ”they're coming!”

That would be the guests, she thought, sighed, put down the paper and got up herself.

And true enough, when she got out to the yard, the guests of honour were already arriving to Vaarala.

They were men in dark suits and women in summer dresses, come from Kuopio on the steamer Tähti, chartered for this occasion specifically. Town and state bureaucrats, town and rural municipality councilmen, party functionaries, Civil Guard officers and other local notables with their wives made up a procession of party-goers from the Vaarala pier to the big main house that some called the Vaarala manor.

Salomo Vaara himself stood there waiting for them, in his three piece suit, checking his pocket watch. He was a man of a medium build, with a not-too-handsome face decorated with a mustache and severe round eyeglasses. His head was bald and he walked with an ivory-handled cane. Salomo Vaara's a bit underwhelming looks were overshadowed by his deep baritone voice and his impressive presence. Her father had charisma in spades, he could dominate most gatherings with the sheer weight of his personality, Sisko Vaara had to agree. That was probably why the farmer and the inspector of the local branches of the Cooperative Credit Union[5] was constantly involved in the council of the Kuopio rural municipality[6], and a lot of other official Agrarian League business as well, even up to the national level. It did not hurt a bit that he was a personal acquintance of Doctor Gephard[7] himself, too.

The procession of guests was led by the highest-ranking figure – P.V. Heikkinen, the long-time chairman of the Agrarian League himself, a member of parliament and the current Minister of Agriculture. Heikkinen was an old if not friend, then a friendly rival of Salomo Vaara as well, hailing from Nilsiä to the north of Kuopio, only some tens of kilometers from Hirvilahti. On his summer holiday from his important work in the capital, Heikkinen had found the time to come visit the chairman of the Kuopio rural municipality's council on his 50th anniversary.

Naturally, most of the men and women pouring into the Vaara yard were members and supporters of the Agrarian League.

Out on the yard, under the August sun, several long tables had been set out for the guests, one of them raised slightly higher and more prominently bedecked with decorations. The guests of honour would have fitted inside the main hall of the Vaarala farmhouse, if only so-and-so, but then they were not the only guests expected on this day. All and sundry villagers and local well-wishers would be expected to show up, and all expected to get at least something to eat. And so, several rows of tables had been set up on the yard, some with chairs but most with simple benches lining them.

Sisko stood to the side with her twin brothers, one in his best dark suit, looking uncomfortable, and the other in his cavalry uniform, somewhat more at ease, as the guests of honour were shown to their places around the tables.

The young woman corrected the position of her student cap and looked at the food laid on the tables – a veritable feast designed to reflect the affluence of the Vaara farm. Pots of Karelian meat stew, several kalakukkos[8] and lanttukukkos[9] cut open from the top in the traditional fashion, freshly smoked pikes acquired from fish traps just that morning, piles of boiled potatoes, boiled carrots and peas, pickled cucumbers and beets, summer salad with boiled eggs. And of course rye bread and butter, and lots of Karelian pastries with egg butter. For dessert, fresh strawberries with whipped cream. Jugs of homemade weak beer to drink, as well as cold water from the well.

Later on, there would be coffee, cakes and sweet rolls.

Needless to say, to set up the offerings had been a work of days for Alma Vaara, the other women of the household and several other women from the village as temporary help. The reputation of the Vaara family, and that of Alma Vaara herself was at stake – everything would have to go off without a hitch, unless she wanted that uncomplementary things would be said of her and hers behind her back. Alma Vaara did not want that. As the mistress of the Vaara household, she had a reputation and a status to uphold, and uphold them she would.

Sisko Vaara had to greet many guests of honour before she finally could start looking forward to actually digging in to the food on offer. To be honest, after a seemingly neverending procession of older gentlemen in suits and their summery wives to be curtseyed and smiled at, she was starting to feel somewhat peckish herself, too.

But first, of course, there was the vicar[10] leading everyone in a grace and a hymn, in his black suit and priest's collar. The man in his 40s looked stern and his wife angelic, though everyone knew that appearances were deceiving. The vicar himself was Christian charity come to flesh, a man given to avoid fire and brimstone in his sermons. His wife, on the other hand, held on to much stricter de facto Christian doctrines and generally had the reputation of being a bit of a dragon.

After the hymn ended, the feast of Salomo Vaara's 50th birthday begun.

Notes:

[1] The leading capital daily.

[2] A major Savonian provincial paper, published in Kuopio.

[3] The official platform of the Finnish Social Democratic Party, originally adopted in 1903.

[4] Herra Mäyrä.

[5] Osuuskassa.

[6] Kuopion maalaiskunta, a separate municipality surrounding the town proper.

[7] Hannes Gebhard was the founder of the Finnish rural cooperative banking movement.

[8] A traditional Savonian dish of fish (usually vendace or perch) and pork baked inside a rye bread crust and slowly baked in an oven to very well done.

[9] The same but with rutabaga instead of fish.

[10] Kirkkoherra, arguably a corruption of Swedish kyrkoherde. The Finnish term is more intimidating than the word ”vicar” is in English, it can be literally translated as ”church lord”.

To Be Continued

Last edited:
That is one hell of an intro, with a great slice of life aspect, foreshadowing, and natural exposition.

Thank you for the kind comments! I will be generally going for an "old Finnish film" -angle for at least the first part of the story, summery countryside was very often the setting for popular period films here, like military themes were as well. The Vaara family is partly based on my relatives from the period in question, but there are many notable differences. The area the Vaara farm is located in is where I spent my own childhood, though of course over four decades later than the characters described here.

At some point, I'll sneak in a POD or two as well.:)

Four: The Summer of Innocence
It was high summer for a people revelling in its freedom and youthful growth. Walking the streets of the city, I looked at the smiling faces of the young men and women about their everyday business, saw the determined, sweaty construction workers in their honest work, and spied high above a lone falcon soaring over the buildings, playfully reaching for the clouds.

It was a summer of innocence.

Would things ever again be as good, as pure, as lively and radiant as they were now, I wondered.

The answer came with a cold gust of wind, but young and naïve as I was, I didn’t bother to listen.

Mika Waltari: Päiviemme määrä (”The Number of Our Days”), 1960.

Four: The Summer of Innocence

Over two decades later, the writer Mika Waltari would dub the middle months of 1939 ”a summer of innocence” in his acclaimed novel Päiviemme määrä (”The Number of Our Days”). In retrospect, it is indeed not hard to see the summer in this way. Despite the instability growing in much of Europe at the time, in Finland the general atmosphere was quite optimistic. The Great Depression had passed the nation relatively lightly, and in the late 30s Finland experienced healthy economic growth based on increased foreign trade, mostly centred on the well-developing wood industry’s products. The standards of living were improving, the paychecks growing. And novel products to use your money in kept arriving in the stores. New companies and new industrial plants were built, the state supported the development of national infrastructure and the electrification of the nation had been well underway after the construction of the first major hydro plant in the Imatrankoski in Southern Karelia in the late 20s. Additional mineral deposits were found in different parts of the country, and new mining operations were planned. Some of them were already being realized: in the very north of the country, in Arctic Sea-hugging Petsamo, the left arm of the Maid of Finland, the construction was underway for a major nickel plant, on cooperation with the British-Canadian Inco-Mond company.

Slowly but surely, Finland was opening up to Europe, just like the young intellectuals and writers of the Tulenkantajat (”The Fire Bearers”) movement, a member of which also Waltari was, were demanding through their work. Helsinki was a more international city by the day – and would be even more so by 1940. In the Finnish capital, the general arrangements for the 1940 Olympics, awarded to Finland by the IOC after Japan had to forfeit the games planned to be held in Tokyo due to the international criticism caused by the war with China, were progressing well. In the warm summer months of 1939, the work to build the new Olympic stadium in Helsinki continued apace with the effort to construct all the other Olympic venues in time. The stadium was to be completed by the end of the year, like the new velodrome and most of the Olympic Village, and by the admission of the German Olympic organizer Carl Diem who visited Finland in early August, the fact that the Finns had had only half the ordinary time for this effort at their use was not at all readily apparent.[1] By and by, the Finnish Olympic Committee was sanguine of success in every way. In July, the Finnish newspapers reported that after recent discussions with European and American authorities and media organizations, the Helsinki games would become the Olympic Games to most widely reach international audiences through the radio waves so far.

In early July, Finland elected a new parliament for the ninth time in the short history of the Republic. By and large, Prime Minister Cajander’s coalition cabinet dominated by the Social Democrats and the Agrarians received strong support from the electorate, with both the ruling parties gaining new parliamentarians. In the new Eduskunta, the SDP had won 85 and the Agrarian League 56 seats. The biggest loser was the far right, nationalist Patriotic People’s Movement that lost almost half of its seats and dropped to only 8 members of the parliament. Even if the young and eager Agrarian Minister of the Interior, Urho Kekkonen, had ultimately failed in his 1938 effort to abolish the whole nationalist party as ”anti-democratic” and as dangerous to the nation as far left groups were, the fallout from his efforts to do this appeared to hurt the far right much more than it did the moderate Agrarians.

While abroad the Finnish elections received a lot less interest than the other, generally more worrying and negative developments in more southern parts of Europe, the limited foreign commentary that did appear saw the Finnish political system in a favourable light. In an article on Finland, the Swiss Neue Zürcher Zeitung estimated that the results of the elections now showed to the world that the Finns in general supported democracy, parliamentarism, and neutrality policies that were based on Finland cooperating with its neighbour Sweden and staying well out of international disagreements.

At this time, of course, the discussions between the Finnish and Soviet authorities about Soviet territorial demands, ones that had been started on the insistence of the Soviet diplomat Boris Yartsev [2] in the spring of 1938, were not yet known among anyone else than a very limited number of Finnish and Soviet leading politicians and diplomats. These discussions had been continued on a higher level in the spring of 1939, but the Finnish government had that far flatly rejected all Soviet demands.

After the elections, the coalition cabinet that had been led by Prime Minister Aimo Cajander since 1937 continued with the essentially same team of ministers, neither President Kyösti Kallio or the main parties seeing a need for a reshuffle. Generally, there were more policy disagreements between the politicians and the military leadership than between the main parties themselves. After the elections, a row flared up again between the Agrarian Minister of Defence, Juho Niukkanen, and the Social Democrat Minister of Finance, Väinö Tanner, on one side, and the chairman of the National Defence Council, Field Marshal C.G.E. Mannerheim, on the other. The issues were Mannerheim’s demands for more money to the military, and a bigger mandate for him as the head of the Defence Council, and Niukkanen’s and Tanner’s opposition to these demands. In the event, the president supported Mannerheim’s mandate but failed to give strong backing to an enlarged defence budget. In the conditions prevalent in late July 1939, Prime Minister Cajander did not believe that war would touch Finland for a long time to come. The President generally agreed with the assessment of the man who was more of a university professor than a career politician by skills and inclinations.

The approaching Olympics were seen as ready fodder for the nascent Finnish movie industry as well. In the summer of 1939 the production company Suomi-Filmi was shooting an Olympic-themed comedy in Helsinki, based on the popular characters of Lapatossu, the lazy, laid-back joker played by Aku Korhonen, and Vinski, his often straight-man sidekick (Kaarlo Kartio), called Lapatossu ja Vinski olympiakuumeessa (”Lapatossu And Vinski In Olympic Fever”). The film directed by the well-established Yrjö Norta was to premier in early September. When the production of the film was ongoing, however, a tragedy struck the Finnish film world. At an event connected with the premier of director Valentin Vaala’s Rikas tyttö (”The Rich Girl”) in Hämeenlinna, the movie’s leading actress Sirkka Sari climbed on the roof of the Hotel Aulanko, on a lark, and fell down a chimney she had mistaken for a viewing platform. The promising young actress died at age 19 and the tragic death was widely discussed in the press during the following days and weeks. Sari’s funeral on August 5th at Muolaa on the Karelian isthmus was attended by a massive number of people.

On the Karelian isthmus, a bone of contention between the Finnish and Soviet governments in 1938 and 1939, the summer nevertheless showed its best sides to visitors and tourists. Terijoki near the border was a town known for its spas and sandy beaches already in Tsarist times. Then the town by the Viipuri - St.Petersburg railway was patronized by the well-to-do from the nearby imperial Russian capital, who built many pretty villas among the sand dunes next to the shores of the Gulf of Finland. Now in 1939 most of these villas were owned by Finnish summer guests: after a major number of the villas had not been reclaimed by their pre-1917 owners after the area passed to Finnish ownership in the post-revolution days, they had been taken over by the Finnish state and auctioned off to interested citizens. Many a family had been able to acquire an affordable summer villa they hoped would solve their summer vacation-related questions for many years to come. Even for the people who could not afford an entire villa as their own or even on temporary lease, the hotels and inns of the Terijoki area allowed a good base of operation from where to hit the beaches in the sun.

At the other end of the Finnish southern coast, the streets of the little coastal town right next to Turku were almost filled with people on this sunny August day. Naantali, the sunshine town, was each year becoming a more popular place for tourists arriving, it seemed, from all parts of the nation. Not only was the town pretty and cozy with its old wooden houses, it also could boast a fine, big medieval church and, the most important feature of all, a well-regarded spa and a number of high-class establishments for those with an interest in wining and dining.

Along the sunny street, an older man in a light-colored summer suit and a panama hat was walking casually. Soon, he was joined by a woman of the same age. Followed discreetly by a small number of young and fit men in sensibly-cut suits, then couple made their way towards the waterfront.

The man with a panama hat, his face decorated with a set of heavy, drooping mustaches nodded and smiled to people passing him and his wife on the street, many of them recognizing the Republic’s first couple on a daily outing in the streets of the nation’s summer capital. For here in Naantali, on an island just off the town centre, within a view of the stony medieval church, stood Kultaranta [3], the Finnish presidents’ official summer residence.

As he walked on, with his wife Kaisa's hand in his, President Kyösti Kallio was increasingly drifting deeper into his own head. His mind floated in a flow of free association. He had not slept very well recently, his poor health causing him trouble almost daily, and it made him irritable. It also made it hard to focus on things, sometimes.

The recent political events if Europe bothered Kallio, despite the glorious summer weather around him. So did the USSR’s attitude towards Finland. What caused him particular grief today was the fate of that young actress who had lost her life in Hämeenlinna – the old man did not understand why God would allow such accidents to happen to young people who had their whole lives in front of them. Just a slight misstep, and it was the end of everything.

The old couple had now reached a wooden pier by the sea, and there the presidential motor boat was waiting for them – modest in size, but all gleaming, well-varnished mahogany nevertheless, at its controls a young, keen soldier attached to the summer house’s staff. The president's second aide-de-camp waited here as well, and made to salute his boss as the old man approached him.

As Kallio stepped on the pier, he continued to contemplate the unfortunate fate of the young actress, and now he felt an even worse twist of pain in his heart. Right after first feeling it, he saw his view of vision dimming and could not feel his wife's hand in his own anymore.

And so, just a mere metre before the president’s second aide-de-camp would have extended his hand to the President of the Republic to help him to the waiting motor boat, the man in the summer suit stumbled and fell. It happened too fast for the aide-de-camp or the president's wife to react. Kallio slipped down from the pier to the water, and on the way struck his head violently to the boat’s side.[4]

Only now the young soldier at the boat’s controls moved, took a couple of steps and swiftly jumped to the water to help the old man. In seconds, the second aide-de-camp got down to the water as well.

As the two men started dragging the president out of the water, with three onlookers rushing to help in what seemed like slow motion, Kaisa Kallio stared at the man she had been married to for 37 years.

Only a quiet whisper left her lips.

Please, for God’s sake, help him”.

promises.jpg

Left: "Visit Naantali, the spa and monastery town", a 1930s travel ad. Right: Sirkka Sari as Anni Hall in Rikas tyttö, 1939.

Notes:

[1] Diem was the chief organizer of the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. He is considered the inventor of the modern-style Olympic torch relay.

[2] An alias. The real name of the man calling himself ”Yartsev” was Boris Rybkin. NKVD officers working at the Soviet embassy in Finland frequently adopted aliases for the duration of their stay in Helsinki.

[3] Or Gullranda in Swedish. The Finnish name can be translated literally as ”Gold Coast”. The handsome granite villa was built during WWI for the millionaire businessman Alfred Kordelin, who had planned it to become the home where he could spend his sunset years. After Kordelin was killed by Red soldiers in 1917, the villa passed eventually to the Finnish state and was made into the Finnish presidents’ summer residence in 1920.

[4] OOC: A PoD.

To Be Continued

Last edited:
I'm interested in what direction this new Finland will take (secretly hoping for greater Finland without a Nazi victory). Good job so far.

Five: Veli (and Arvo)

Five: Veli (and Arvo)

...So, I can't think of a more precious land

Than is Savonia to me

And nothing more sweeter rings in my ears

Of anything God has created

Than ”dear land of Savonia!”

The Song of the Savonian had ended what Veli saw as the official part of the birthday party. Apart from the food, there had also been some singing, and of course a few obligatory speeches. P.V. Heikkinen had given the main congratulatory speech, solemnly recounting Salomo Vaara's importance to the province, the nation, and naturally to the party.

”...setting an example for all independent farmers, through his efforts for improving his holdings and introducing new, scientifically-based methods of farming and animal husbandry. And doing all this together with his ongoing work in the interest of developing the conditions of banking in these rural areas of Northern Savonia, too – we can all agree that in Salomo Vaara we can see the very picture of a patriotic, upstanding, hardworking, intelligent and enterprising man, a real man to look up to, also for his many children...”

Veli Vaara had looked at the men and women nodding at the speech, some more, some less earnestly. It was well-known that for all his good qualities, Salomo Vaara could also be very strict, overbearing and downright nasty to people who for some reason disagreed with him or did not correspond to his demands towards them. The man pushed himself hard, and then he expected all others to fulfill the same standards, whether or not they could or even wanted to do that.

At the last part of the feast, Veli Vaara had started to feel that his suit was becoming very uncomfortable. His tie felt like it wanted to strangle him. He was used to much more loose-fitting clothes, like someone who lives and works on a farm often is, and he didn't like the crowd and the whole set-up of the big birthday party, either.

Happily, though, the official part had now passed and the tables started emptying out. A lot of the older guests were starting to leave – the ship would be raising steam for the trip back to Kuopio, to embark in a couple of hours.

Veli surreptiously removed his tie and immediately felt a measure of relief.

Arvo

The evening had come to the Vaara farm, and now there was music. Salomo Vaara and those older guests that had stayed even after the Tähti left the Vaarala pier had mainly retired to the main building where Arvo thought right now another round of coffee was being served, along with a bit of cognac for the gentlemen.

But outside, the dances were starting. Together, the younger people of the village had converted a large hayloft to a party venue, and a couple of local musicians had been hired for the night to provide music. Magnanimously, Salomo Vaara had decided to allow this bit of fun to the young men and women of Hirvilahti, who were now arriving to Vaarala in ones, twos and small knots of people, coming up the slight incline from the direction of the village centre where the school, the co-operative shop, the Youth Society House and the sports field were situated in.

The August evening was starting to cool down outside. For Arvo Vaara, who had felt sort of hot in his old-fashioned uniform tunic the whole day, it actually felt better when the temperature started going down.

Like the day, the evening was clear and bright, with only a line of clouds visible on the horizon.

Mr Lieutenant, I have an important message for you, so to speak”, someone told Arvo and he turned around.

It was Rieti, the old boatman, who after learning of all the birthday party involved had decided to stick around. For the feast, and what would come after. He had a knowing smile plastered on his worn face, and he nodded towards the left.

”...Behind the corner, that is.”

Curious, the military man followed Rieti to the indicated direction.

There, out of a line of sight from the main building, the man showed him a wooden box hidden behind a small bush. Winking, Rieti kneeled and pulled out a bottle. Then he opened the cork and held it out for Arvo.

”A message in a bottle. A song.

Arvo smelled the bottle and took a small, tentative swig. And then he had to cough to clear his throat.

”Horrid”, he told the old boatman, ”but genuine stuff none the less”.

Rieti's smile grew wider.

”I have a good, ol' supplier out by Nilsiä way. A right professional, when it comes to high-grade moonshine, see, he's got it down to science, he has – and you gotta support the development of the local economy, what? That's what the man said earlier. I always keep a box in my boat, for dif'rent contingencies, as it were, and now I su'posed this might be the right sort of occasion to bring it ashore.”

Now Arvo smiled as well.

”I'd say you weren't half wrong with that estimate.”

The two men haggled over the price for a while, and then arrived to an arrangement.

And so, another matter of importance was laid to rest.

Veli

Veli had stayed out on the yard talking to some of his team-mates about various things, including, but not limited to, pesäpallo, drinking some beer and smoking. Now he and a couple of the guys steeled themselves and took off towards where the music was drifting to the Vaarala yard.

Inside, a polka just released as a lively harmonica rendition in the early summer by Viljo Vesterinen and the Dallapé Orchestra was being played from a gramophone while the live musicians were taking a break.

About forty young people were bouncing across the hayloft to the tune.

”Look at them go!”, Väinö Korhonen quipped to Veli and winked, turning his look back at Miina Juntunen going past him at speed.

Miina was one of the most buxom girls in the village, and Väinö now stared at her in a trance-like state.

”I say”, he said quietly and shook his head in admiration.

Veli Vaara, for his part, scanned the dim space lit by a few lanterns and the summer night's light that was still filtering in through the doors and a few windows.

There was someone he was looking for.

Finally, after a few moments, he spotted Emma Kerman, not dancing for the while but seemingly engaged in a discussion with one of the other girls, laughing and joking. She wore a blue dress, and there was something unbelievably fetching in the way she absentmindedly brushed a lock of her nearly black hair off her forehead.

Veli took a step or two towards the girls when someone stopped him.

”Veli, I'm happy I finally found you.”

Annoyed, he turned around to see a man a bit older than him standing there, looking nervous.

Yes, what is it?”, he snapped, more angry than he would have liked.

The man recoiled slightly.

”Sorry... to bother you... It's just that I...”, the man stammered.

Seeing the man's confusion, Veli relented and steered him outside.

While back on the yard, Veli looked at Heikki Hyvärinen levelly.

”Its quieter here. So, Heikki, what is it?”, he said, this time in a considerably more friendly tone.

”It's about our payment – it appears that we will be late again...”

Hyvärinen had taken a personal loan from Salomo Vaara to finance the purchase of his farm. And for a while, everything had worked out well. But as of late... While Heikki was a good, decent worker, he had been suffering of a recurring illness since the spring, and had had trouble working. And that had caused him to have trouble with his payments, too.

Heikki was a kindly, quiet and timid man, and he was downright terrified of Salomo Vaara. The old man had chewed him up bad a couple of times, and as a rule after that he had wanted to avoid it happening again.

So, when there were problems with his payments, what Heikki did was to come to Veli first, with his cap in his hand. Even then, on such occasions he was always so nervous that it made Veli feel sorry for him.

”...So if you could break it to your father, maybe?”, the man said, with a pleading look in his eyes.

”Don't worry, Heikki”, Veli said, trying out what he thought was his most reassuring expression, ”we'll figure it out. I'll take it from here, don't worry.”

The two men shook hands, and Heikki left, looking thankful and relieved. Veli liked that look on the man's face a lot more.

By now, and especially since his brother and sister had left the farm for Lappeenranta and Helsinki, Veli had been getting more and more acquainted with acting as a buffer between his overbearing father and the world. De facto, the oldest resident son of Salomo Vaara found himself increasingly working as an acting master of the Vaara farm, very much like a steward of his father's interests while Salomo again embarked on his far-flung bank-inspecting trips around Northern Savonia.

Veli liked to think he was decent at it, as well. In some ways better than his prickly father, even, at least when it came to dealing with different people and their various very human shortcomings.

After Veli got back to the hayloft, he again started looking around to spot Emma Kerman. The musicians had returned and were now playing a waltz that was a lot less rowdy piece of music than the recent polka had been.

After a while of searching, he realized Emma was already dancing with someone. Veli looked at the dark-haired woman spinning around the room, smiling, holding on to a tall, handsome man in a military uniform.

Arvo, he thought and felt a pang of jealousy gripping himself.

Feeling foolish just standing there, Veli Vaara took a few steps towards Esteri, the younger of the Ollikainen sisters, a little wisp of a girl in comparison to the tall Emma Kerman and bowed to her. With that pang of jealousy still animating him, Veli steered the girl to the dance floor with sudden force that surprised her.

”Veli...”, she said, with a hint of concern in her eyes, and the young man softened his grip.

”I am sorry, Esteri”, he said, trying out his first steps with the young woman who seemed so absurdly light in his arms.

After the two had danced for a while, Esteri glanced at Arvo and Emma, and then looked at Veli with a knowing look.

”They look very good, the both of them”, she said quietly, ”especially your brother”.

”Hmm”, Veli just grunted to the girl with the blue eyes and the straw-coloured hair.

”Maybe it's the uniform”, the young man then said, gloomily. He had understood that women tended to like men in uniform a lot.

”It's not just that”, Esteri said, and leaned her head closer to his chest. She smelled of summer flowers, and now a slight red tint had crept to her cheeks.

And just then the waltz ended. Veli bowed his head to Esteri, quickly, and started looking for another opportunity to ask Emma to a dance. But now, both Emma and his brother had seemingly disappeared. Veli could not see them anywhere in the room.

Feeling ever more irritated, he again wandered outside and decided to smoke a cigarette. A smooth August darkness was falling all around, and the moon and the stars were starting to come out in the sky. Arvo crushed the butt of his cigarette under his shoe and looked up to the sky, seeing the familiar shape of the Big Dipper up there. Suddenly, he heard muted sound to his right and unthinkingly wandered that way.

Upon rounding the corner of the stable, he saw two people in the semi-darkness. A man and a woman, standing close to each other. And then he could see the couple kissing.

It was Arvo and Emma, Veli realized with a shock.

A heavy feeling of bitter jealousy washed over him.

Hoping the two did not see him, Veli turned around and made a beeline towards the hayloft. He did not join the dance again, however, but instead rounded the corner again and soon stood face to face with an older man.

”Now, this surely looks like a man in need of a drink”, Rieti the boatman said to him, his face uncharacteristically earnest.

”You have no idea”, Veli said.

He took the proffered bottle and drank deep.

tanssit.jpg

Young people dancing at the Pörsänmäki Youth Association House, Iisalmi, Upper Savonia, August 1939. Source: Finna.

To Be Continued

Last edited:
Hope you continue this after 1939...

We already know what's coming with regards to WWII starting in September; the question is how will it play out?

Poor timing, too, for Veli. Or very good timing (and less indecision) for Arvo. Maybe some Dutch courage as well.
I mean, consodering the timing and our lovely hindsight, Arvo is likely going to be, ehm, busy for the coming winter and Veli might have to do some comforting. Wink wink nudge nudge. I'm sorry

Not gonna lie, I'm getting pretty investes in these characters already.

I mean, consodering the timing and our lovely hindsight, Arvo is likely going to be, ehm, busy for the coming winter and Veli might have to do some comforting. Wink wink nudge nudge. I'm sorry

Not gonna lie, I'm getting pretty investes in these characters already.

Well, we'll see how the next winter pans out. Nothing's set in stone.;)

I am happy if my characters are relatable, though. That's what I am aiming at, to make the story more interesting and easier to read.:)

Six: Arvo

Six: Arvo

Lieutenant Arvo Vaara of the Häme Mounted Regiment took a deep breath, inhaling fresh August country air. It was full of the scents of high summer, and then already laced with an undertone of inevitable corruption and subtle hints of the fall.

Arvo had taken Emma Kerman back to the dance in the hayloft and left her with the rest of the young people of the village. He thought Emma was a nice girl, she was literally the quintessential girl next door, and it had been a pleasure to see her again after several months of not visiting Hirvilahti. Emma was pretty and she had character. A few close dances and a bit of kissing - why not?

But beyond that, though, Arvo was not really interested in the girl. He had a girlfriend in Lappeenranta as it was. And besides, he didn't have the time right now. At the moment the young man had a lot bigger fish to fry.

He lit up a cigarette and started walking towards the farm's main building, the big two-storied farmhouse his father had bought in a slightly run-down condition, repaired and then enlarged over the years. By now, it was the biggest and finest house in the village, earning among many the moniker "the Vaara Manor"[1]. Salomo Vaara hated it when people called it that himself - he still fancied himself a small farmer, not as the lord of a manor, even though his holdings were by now some of the biggest in Hirvilahti and the nearby villages as well. The old man had used his information about which landowners were in debt or otherwise financially inconvenienced and done some good deals for farmland and forest over the years. The main part of the farm he had been able to buy for a song over 20 years ago, from the farm's drunkard heir who by now was living in a rented room in Kuopio, subsisting on odd jobs in between his repeated benders.

Feeling animated both by the alcohol in his veins and his success with Emma, Arvo flicked the cigarette butt away and strode towards the main entrance, his boots hitting the front steps hard. Walking on, he soon arrived in the main hall. In the big room the like of which was the heart of most Finnish farmhouses, he then spotted his mother sitting in a corner with four other women, chatting. The ladies turned to look at him when he entered.

"Good evening, ladies, Mother", he said with a carrying voice, and then realized it was probably a bit too loud. He was not taking cavalrymen out for a drill, now.

"Ah, Arvo", his mother said, her face slightly red. She had by now partaken in a bit of punch herself.

She turned towards the ladies.

"My son Arvo, the lieutenant. Oh, but you met him already before."

The women nodded in unison, and smiled to the young officer.

"Your sons are so handsome, Mrs. Vaara", the oldest one of them said, "and so brisk and manly, too. You've done a good job raising them, you and your husband both."

Alma Vaara beamed.

"Oh, thank you, Mrs. Heikkinen", she told her and then turned her eyes towards her son.

"Arvo, could you join us for a moment - the ladies would like to ask you something about life in the military..."

Arvo smiled and then looked around.

"Maybe later, Mother. Right now, I need to see Father. Where could I find him?"

While the four ladies looked disappointed, Alma Vaara nodded towards the left.

"He's in the library with the gentlemen."

"Thank you, Mother", Arvo said, pulled himself up to attention and smiled and nodded to the five women.

"Ladies."

Only now, when he walked towards the library room, did Arvo start feeling apprehension about his business with his father tonight. Only now, was his bravery sapped a little. He could feel some cold sweat start rising to his forehead.

Damn.

The library room was one of the most recent additions to the big farmhouse. In the recent enlargement, Salomo Vaara had wanted to create for himself a slightly more public room than his personal office was, for leisure as well as for receiving guests - for occasions very much like this. That it should be, specifically, a library, was probably an attempt to boost the impression of himself as a man of letters, a self-taught intellectual as well as a successful small farmer and a primus motor of provincial cooperative banking. A true self-made man.

A real man to look up to, the words of Heikkinen's speech still rang in Arvo's ears when he entered the room.

Inside, four men sat around a table, surrounded by bookcases. Two of them were smoking cigars and all had cognac glasses in front of them. One more man sat in the corner, absentmindedly holding a glass and listening to the conversation.

"...what you print in your so-called newspaper!", a thin man in his sixties was telling a lively-looking younger man, pointing his cigar at him.

"I say, really! Like during the elections – pure drivel, utter vilification and calumny!"

The younger man merely smiled and spread his hands.

"If you are not happy with the editorial line of the Savon Sanomat, you can always send a letter to the editor. I promise that it will get published the very same day!", he said and winked.

It appeared that some of the most influential guests were still left - the cream of the crop. The man seemingly riled up about the quality of the local press was Edvard Lyytinen - a school teacher and the long-time chairman of the Kuopio town council. A member of the National Coalition Party. And the younger man was Martti Suhonen, the director of the Savon Sanomat Press company, the strong man behind the ideologically Agrarian, growing local newspaper.

In the farthest corner, the older, stout and balding man looked at the two men arguing and smiled a slightly inebriated smile. This was, Arvo knew, Gustaf Ignatius, the long-time governor of the Kuopio Province, a man who it was said was just due to retire from his post among the strange and crafty Savonians and leave Kuopio to return to his family home in the nation's capital.[2]

Ignatius was the first to notice the man in the doorway.

"Gentlemen, gentlemen", the old man said with a widening smile, "if you won't settle down, I will ask the lieutenant here for a military intervention - as my position still empowers me to do, should the situation otherwise prove untenable."

Now all the others turned their eyes towards Arvo, too, including the man of the hour himself.

Salomo Vaara leaned into the light and looked at his son.

"Arvo. Good of you to join us. Take a seat and pour yourself a drink."

Arvo was surprised about his fathers invitation to join the gentlemen in the library, and not in a bad way. Under ordinary circumstances, he might have even accepted the offer. Now, though… Now he had to follow his plan as long as he had the willpower left to go through with it.

There’s no other way out.

”Good evening, gentlemen”, he said, trying out a smile, and then paused for a while.

”...And thank you for the offer, Father. But no thank you, not right now. Ahem…. If it’s alright, I’d like to speak to you.”

Salomo Vaara looked at his son in silence.

”Of course. Go ahead.”

Arvo looked around the room, to the men who had gone quiet.

”Alone. Please, Father.”

A moment passed. And then Salomo Vaara stood up, slowly.

”Very well.”

”I am sorry, gentlemen. I’ll be back in a moment.”

Arvo and Salomo left the room filled with cigar smoke and walked together to the older Vaara’s study. When in the room, the man with the steel-rimmed round spectacles sat down behind his big oaken desk and steepled his fingers.”

”All right son. Sit down.”

Arvo took a seat in front of the desk. The room was uncomfortably silent, and the younger man could feel his heart pounding in his chest.

”So, you have been giving some thought to letting go of this military silliness and coming back home to look after the farm?”, the master of the Vaara household asked his oldest son, with a slight hint of hope in his eyes.

Salomo Vaara had not at all liked that his son had embarked on a military career, and he had let Arvo know this. Quite vocally, and several times. In Salomo’s opinion, the place of his first-born son was here, learning to become his successor after the older Vaara could no longer look after his domain. After Veli had gone through his conversion to Social Democracy, Salomo had redoubled his efforts to make Arvo return home.

To no avail.

And now, now Salomo believed that the reason Arvo came to him now, the overriding reason he had to discuss with his father on the evening of his 50th birthday, even while the man had important visitors, was caused by him deciding on abandoning his dreams.

Arvo shook his head.

”No, Father”, he said slowly, ”I am still holding on to my vow to serve and defend the Fatherland, and I am still committed to be a career military officer.”

Arvo saw his father’s face shift to a harder countenance. The silence in the room was ominous.

”Father… I came to ask your help. I am very good at what I do, you know it. But being a military officer, and all it entails… It is very expensive. The uniforms, the gear, upholding my social position in Lappeenranta, and so on…. It costs a lot of money.”

Salomo Vaara’s eyes narrowed.

”Surely the Finnish state is paying you, well, a salary, son?”

”Well, yes. But it is a pittance, a niggardly compensation for the work of men who would put their lives on the line for Finland to defend the nation against our enemies.”

Arvo went silent for a while, and looked at his father who was regarding him with an icy stare.

”In fact, Father, due to all my expenses, I have already accumulated some debt, and I am finding it impossible to stay… afloat financially with these expenditures and this income.”

Salomo Vaara’s eyes flashed in anger.

”So – reduce your expenditures! It’s basic household economy, boy!”

Arvo felt like grinding his teeth together. A rage was starting to boil inside him.

I can not. That is the problem. I must either get more money, to pay off my debts and continue to be able to pay my expenses… Or then I must give up my position as an officer in the Finnish Army. These are the only options.”

”Well then”, the old man said, ”it seems that the decision is made for you. Come back home.”

Arvo felt like jumping up from the chair and shouting to his father. He barely restrained himself.

”No. Please, Father. I ask of you – help me to pay my debts so I can continue my career, for the good of the Fatherland, and to bring respect to the Vaara name, too. I am not a quitter and a coward.”

Salomo Vaara’s stare was now drilling holes into his son, or that was how it felt like to the cavalry lieutenant.

”So, son. How much would you need?”

In for a penny, in for a pound, Arvo Vaara thought. Too late to stop now.

”100 000 marks.”

His father did a double-take and experienced as he was in financial matters, his eyes went wider.

One hundred thousand? Jesus Christ, are you serious? That’s four years’ wages for a good professional logger!”

”It is just enough for me to pay off my debt and continue to pay my way through the next year.”

Looking like a calculating automaton in human form, Salomo Vaara pulled a leather-bound ledger book out of a drawer, opened it and studied some figures for a while.

He then looked up, with a measuring look on his face.

”One hundred thousand is way too much. I’ll give you fifty thousand - ”

”Father, that is not...”

”50 000, no more. That should be enough to settle your outstanding debts. And it is a loan, you understand. I expect you to pay it back to me – in five years’ time.”

”Father, I...”

Salomo Vaara stood up from behind his big desk.

”Take it or leave it, Arvo. I am ready to do this much to preserve your precious military career. And to finance any unsavoury hobbies you might have, as well. Not many fathers would be ready to do that. I won’t even charge you interest. But that’s it. You won’t get one bit more. The rest is on you. ”

The old man continued to drill holes into his son with his spectacled eyes.

”And should you choose to come back to join us in taking care of the farm, committed to continue my work here… Well, then I am ready to forget the loan entirely.”

Lieutenant Arvo Vaara of the Häme Mounted Regiment sat frozen in the chair.

Inside him, rage continued to boil, even with hotter flames than before. His father had made him an offer, an offer in the form of a threat with a bribe baked into it.

Salomo Vaara was nothing if not a businessman.

But then Arvo knew his father well enough to understand that this would be the final offer.

There is no other option.

Feeling like a high pressure steam engine missing a safety valve, a red hot machine ready to explode, Arvo Vaara looked at his father and stood up.

”...Alright.”

”What are you saying, Arvo?”

”Alright! I’ll take your offer.”

Salomo Vaara nodded.

”I thought you would. I’ll draw up the papers.”

Arvo did not understand.

”Papers? Why do we need...”

Salomo Vaara looked at his son, with a poisonous glare in his eyes, and dipped his pen in to the ink pot.

”Of course we need papers. It is a real loan, son. In my eyes, and in the eyes of the law. After I finish writing it down, we’ll sign it….”

The old man kept scribbling while he spoke. Arvo knew that he wrote with a neat, meticulous, very distinct hand.

”...And then we’ll ask the men in the library to witness it.”

Notes:

[1] Vaaran kartano.

[2] Ignatius had been the provincial governor in Kuopio since August 1918. He has started his career as a civil servant already in the times of the Finnish Grand Duchy. During the Civil War he worked with the Finnish White government (the Svinhufvud Senate or the Vaasa Senate) and prior to leaving for Kuopio directed the effort of the courts that sentenced the Red prisoners in the postwar camps for treason. He also served as the minister of the interior in 1925-1926.

Last edited: